So I went to buy my monthly allotment of meat.....

pigdog

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
At Costco and the meat manager only orders in st louis cut spares, and trimmed briskets (flats only, no full packer). Do any other Costco stores do this? Steamed to no end over this. The only place I can buy my meat, and I have to drive 90 miles to get it and it's all screwed up.

My local costcos are all the same when it comes to brisket - no packers. I have to get them from RD or my cousin.

Same here and only boneless butt. Went to sams club (40$) they got packers,flats,bone in cheaper also. But I hit both.
If you ask him maybe he'll order for you ask him to put up survey paper. Or ask manager to

We have 4 costcos in our area, and honestly I'm not impressed at all with their meat department. Very limited cuts and their cost is no better than anywhere else, I rarely buy my meats there.

Quality, not selection. That's Costco's motto. Did you know that Costco carries about 6000 different products, when a typical grocery chain carries over 40,000? I love my Costco for certain things, but i don't typically buy meat there. I got to my local restaurant supplier; they have my untrimmed spares, packers etc...

Daguerre, yeah there is a SAMs, and I ended up going there and buying the last untrimmed spares and full pack brisket. Officially done with Costco. SAMs is it I guess from now on. I guess I will have to drive to Denver, see my fam, and bring back meat.

My mother in law lives in Texas, and complained about spending 1.22 for brisket!

My mother in law lives in Texas, and complained about spending 1.22 for brisket!

Ask her to buy a bunch and ship to me please - even after shipping I am sure it will be cheaper then the $3.99 - $4.99 I have to pay here.

Ask her to buy a bunch and ship to me please - even after shipping I am sure it will be cheaper then the $3.99 - $4.99 I have to pay here.

No doubt, I have grocery stores in the area selling trimmed brisket flats for $5.99. It's a real problem finding good packers.

OK newb question here What is the difference between a brisket and a packer?

OK newb question here What is the difference between a brisket and a packer?

The are both briskets, but the differentiator in a packer is that it contains both the flat portion and the point portion of the brisket.

Often times the leaner flat will be sold by itself as brisket.

Most BBQ'ers prefer to cook a packer as there is more fat content and the burnt ends you will read about also come from the point.

The sliced brisket you typically see is from the flat.

The are both briskets, but the differentiator in a packer is that it contains both the flat portion and the point portion of the brisket.

Often times the leaner flat will be sold by itself as brisket.

Most BBQ'ers prefer to cook a packer as there is more fat content and the burnt ends you will read about also come from the point.

The sliced brisket you typically see is from the flat.[/QUOTE

ok i think i am buy packers when i cook my briskets I am still new only cooked 3 briskets so far and no complaints but i am trying to learn thanks for the info

Only flats at sams. I get my packers at Smart and Final.

Man, I guess I should send my local mom & pop store a letter of thanks. They carry full packers, and the big double cryo-vac'ed pork butt packages. And, their prices are not bad either.

I was at Sams last night and they had a lot of flats. But just a couple packers. New to this, so I'm not sure where Thursday's fall in the Sams schedule

What do you have to do to get a membership to the restaurant depots? I am thinking this may be my only viable option in the future......

All the way to Denver for RD? KCBS members used to be able to get day passes at RD. Not sure if that's true anymore.

Pigdog join kcbs and they will let you in on a day pass. Just go to the counter each time and show them your card

Back