• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the shortest cook time for prime brisket?

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was doing brisket for about 19 hours and this past weekend friends came into town so I thought I'd do a couple. By the time it was all said and done I was down to 10 hours and the meat was very good.

What amount of time can you go with and still turning out great brisket?

Thank you in advance!:thumb:

There are of lot of threads on here about hot and fast brisket. The last couple I've done in 5 or 6 hours, and the brisket turns out fantastic.

If it's a packer it can be done in 4-5 hours. I usually do 'em around 300 degrees. Two hours to get good color and smoke then foil and about another 2 hours to get to 205 internal on the POINT. Pull the brisket out of the cooker and hold for an hour or so. I rarely hold in a cooler any more -- too much residual heat. I wrap in an old blanket or two and leave on the table. The meat will still be 160 or so when you get ready to slice.

There are of lot of threads on here about hot and fast brisket. The last couple I've done in 5 or 6 hours, and the brisket turns out fantastic.

Yes I have to learn to search as others have asked this question before. I also am so gun shy about a short cook time as my knowledge and equipment from the past were limited at best. I think I'm starting to make friends with my old offset. The more time I spend here and just read the more I pick-up, don't we all:rolleyes:. Thanks.:thumb:

We cooked a couple of 16 pound (pretrimmed) packer briskets this past weekend at a contest in just over 3.5 hours - not counting time in the cambro. We usually cook one on a trash can and one on a WSM with no water pan. Both briskets came out excellent!

I do packers in 5 to 6 hours in a kettle. I see times as low as 3.5 to 4 hours, but, those are guys using real smokers. I get to 300F in my kettle and I get too dark and hard bark that way.

Back