It is worth calling around for, I was quoted between 50 and 200 bucks depending on what i wanted IE 1500 degree protection or basic. A basic powder coat will hold up fine at the temps we run on the drum though and it looks great. Unfortunately I had to move before I could get it done so I am now looking for a place here to do it.

Cool THx I'll ask my artist's brother he works at a body shop.

First UDS

Hello All,
I've been lurking around here for a while, long enough to get motivated and build my first UDS. I am hooked to say the least. Here is a picture of my first build. Pretty standard design from what I've read.

Attachments

• orange pork barrel.jpg
    orange pork barrel.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 734
Thank you Sir! May start my second one this weekend. Believe it or not I'm on the hunt for an SS barrel

Nice build, Hanasdaddyo! Me thinks the standard K.I.S.S build is the cats meow!! Thank Noreco!!

Actually, I think of my little collection of smokers, this one may be my favorite which my wife thinks is pretty ironic given the cost....

Hanasdaddyo, is that a SWM lid? I can't see from the picture if the lid you have there creates a good seal.

Very nice job!!

It's a Weber kettle lid, hammered out, with a fireplace gasket held by Rutland cement and 4 corner brackets screwed on the inside to keep it from sliding off. I'm a property manager in a university town so i snag abandoned grills when i spot em. This one was in the sun long enough to turn it gray!

$$ wise, I'd say about 50. The weber thermo rang up as a $10 dryer vent at the hardware store, so that, the paint, the ball valve and some fasteners were all I had to buy. The rest I cabbaged onto or had in stock.

I did buy a MIG welder today but you cant really count that. I plan to amortize it across several more of these things!

That isnt a bad idea. I wish I could remember where I saw the things I am thinking of. It was such a simple little thing that would work for thermos and temp probes

This may be the item you are thinking about. It works for me.

PICT0002-9.jpg

$$ wise, I'd say about 50. The weber thermo rang up as a $10 dryer vent at the hardware store, so that, the paint, the ball valve and some fasteners were all I had to buy. The rest I cabbaged onto or had in stock.

I did buy a MIG welder today but you cant really count that. I plan to amortize it across several more of these things!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Gettin closer on my build. Seasoned with canola oil. Just need to mount my grate and get a lid:D Fire basket complete.
I'm fairly confident there was no liner or coating in my barrel. It was used for wiper fluid. I was starting to get some rusting inside which tells me it's bare metal. I hit it with a flapper wheel and it really just shined it up inside but was still the same black color. I've already done a 6 hour burn on it. Any one else used a barrel containing wiper fluid?

Last edited:
Love the UDS, I got mad props on my 15 hr. whole pork shoulder. The family was loving it, there wasn't an unfinished sandwiched all night. First cook on the UDS and I was nervous as fark. I fed about 20 of my family which was awesome and they told me it was better than the pulled pork they got at the local bbq :-D and I got leftovers to take to work which is cool.If you build it they will come :clap2:

Lump vs. Briqs in UDS

I made the switch to lump today and am having some trouble with my temps. First off...lump is much hotter than the briqs! I also find that it heats much faster but also responds to decreases much quicker too.

My normal setup to keep 250 is 1 intake open (1 inch) and ball valve about 1/8 inch with full weber daisy wheel exhaust. That setup had me at 320 on lump early this morning at 50 outside!

After fighting for a while I think I have it figured out. Now I'm about 90% open on the hole intake and 50% on the exhaust wheel. It's amazing how much playing with the exhaust makes a difference with lump...never like that when I use briq's.

Anyone have any experiences like this or tips to working with this stuff?

probe hole

If you have a decent hardware store close by, go look in the little sliding drawers marked lamp parts. they have these small sleeves with the nuts and even caps. I used compression fittings for probe holes but the i.d. was to small for multiple leads and/or probes with any kind of crimp or bend in them. I replaced them the lamp sleeves. my .02.

Attachments

• probe hole.jpg
    probe hole.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 769
Hello All,
I've been lurking around here for a while, long enough to get motivated and build my first UDS. I am hooked to say the least. Here is a picture of my first build. Pretty standard design from what I've read.

Nice drum man! I really like the orange paint. Have fun with your new smoker:clap2:

Back