What to do with a 4ish# brisket flat?

kylersk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Will it still turn out ok if I smoke it? I'm guessing it wont take too long?

Is it one of those super trimmed jobs you buy at the grocery store?

That was a concern I had; if it has little to no fat cap, I'd grind it for burgers or chop it up for chili; otherwise it might be dry if you smoke it.

If it DOES have a nice fat cap, then smoke away!

Ropa vieja.... A small amount of course... The other ingredients will give a meal for two with left overs.... Served with black beans and rice..... That will work

That was a concern I had; if it has little to no fat cap, I'd grind it for burgers or chop it up for chili; otherwise it might be dry if you smoke it.

had one like that last weekend, very little fat cap turned out dry :mad2:

I had an 8# flat with a fat cap that looked like the fat cap on a full packer cut. Cooked super fast and was still a bit dry even with the cap.

The middles made good slices and the rest was turned into chilli. I guess my point being, just be careful with it if you smoke it.

Then again, this was only my second brisket... So maybe this says more about the cook than the piece of meat :confused:

Picked it up at costco. I've only done 2 briskets, and wanted to try another. Now that I brought it home, I'm really dissapointed in it. Ah well..

I was thinking about putting a layer of bacon over the top while I smoke it.. Thoughts?

I bought a 4 lb flat to "play" with at a comp. I am sure glad I did. The packer I cooked was shoe leather, and would not finish.... the flat got me 2nd place and $400 to boot. Not bad for a $12 piece of meat... I am now hooked on the smaller flats... angus that is.

Watch the meat temp. I wrapped mine at 160 degrees, and don't forget the "juice" when you wrap it. Cook to 190, pull and let rest in a hot cooler wrapped in newspapers, old towels etc. for at least 2 hrs.....

It should be great....

Cooked up the brisket today. Put on smoker around 10 this morning, then went to local county fair. Once I got home, the brisket was at 180ish so I put it in an aluminum foil pan with some beef broth and covered. Did a few chores around house and finally checked brisket. It was just over 200. Pulled it and let it rest. Wow! It turned our awesome! Too bad I'm still stuffed from fair food. ;)
25357a2e.jpg

Looks really good, never thought of smoking a small flat before, but am going to have to try it now!

I was thinking about putting a layer of bacon over the top while I smoke it.. Thoughts?

That would probably be good.

I found out the other day that a brisket smoked under a couple of pork butts in my wsm was just as tasty as I had read about on another forum. I ended up with the first good slice off the point end, mostly bark on one side, and it was the best piece of brisket I've ever put in my mouth.

Back