Loaded Beef Ribs and Corn (lots o'pics)

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well went to SAMS today and bought 4 racks of beef ribs. cryovac pack 46 bucks. I wanted all 4 racks sliced across the bones to shorten em up. Well the guy workin the saw evidently was lazy and didnt like having to actually do his job so I got 2 racks cut across and 2 racks cut with the bone. anyway. So I cooked up the 2 racks sliced across 2 rubbed with Plowboys bovine bold and the other 2 rubbed with S&P garlic powder paprika and chipotle powder. Also watched Booby Flay today and thought of SIDE so I made his roasted corn with a Scallion Chive Vinergarrete (sp) It was great. Then for desert we had Grilled peaches with local honey and marscapone cheese. I got one picture durin the magic hour as RTD says the rest not so bueno lol. But that one is pretty. Here they are.
P8090571.jpg

P8090572.jpg

on the egg bout 325* w/ mesquite took about 6 hours and were fork tender
P8090581.jpg

P8090582.jpg

the sun shinin just right in this one.
P8090590.jpg

missed the magic moment lol
P8090591.jpg

P8090585.jpg

P8090589.jpg

desert.
P8090592.jpg

Oh man that looks good.

If I may chime in here with some critical judging for only the right reasons - I see a couple things that concern me here. Mind you, the bone pullback and meteor meat look are outstanding, but they're not quite don yet...

First the lack of smoke ring - not that smoke ring is important to the end product, but I can't imagine how smoked beef ribs would not have a rich, robust smoke ring - oh well. Second - the clearly visible fat running through the rib cross grain - this one is important.

In my humble opinion, those ribs are not done yet. The biggest picture that people miss with beef ribs is the amount of cooking they will tolerate. Short and simple - beef ribs tolerate *A LOT* of cooking.

Do not! - people, underestimate the amount of cooking a fatty cut of beef ribs will tolerate. I have never cooked a rack so much that it's not outstanding. Cook em down, render those fats, condense the flavors, and enjoy your best beef ribs ever.

don't always get a smoke ring. not worried about it. it was 730 natives were restless, sure i could have cooked longer , but were hungry and like i said they were fork tender and came out great.

Last edited:
Those are the thickest Beef Ribs I have ever seen.
They always scalp them clean before they sell them here.
May have to go to Sam"s and ask the butcher if they have some
like those you have.

Excellent job on those....they look really great.

If I may chime in here with some critical judging for only the right reasons - I see a couple things that concern me here. Mind you, the bone pullback and meteor meat look are outstanding, but they're not quite don yet...

First the lack of smoke ring - not that smoke ring is important to the end product, but I can't imagine how smoked beef ribs would not have a rich, robust smoke ring - oh well. Second - the clearly visible fat running through the rib cross grain - this one is important.

In my humble opinion, those ribs are not done yet. The biggest picture that people miss with beef ribs is the amount of cooking they will tolerate. Short and simple - beef ribs tolerate *A LOT* of cooking.

Do not! - people, underestimate the amount of cooking a fatty cut of beef ribs will tolerate. I have never cooked a rack so much that it's not outstanding. Cook em down, render those fats, condense the flavors, and enjoy your best beef ribs ever.

And you use this cliche :rolleyes:

Those are the thickest Beef Ribs I have ever seen.
They always scalp them clean before they sell them here.
May have to go to Sam"s and ask the butcher if they have some
like those you have.

Excellent job on those....they look really great.

Just ask em for the cryovac of uncut beef ribs. they come in a pack of 4 racks here. They are they same ones they use to make the thin sliced ribs in their packages. Its the only way i can get em that havent been picked clean.

The ribs look great!

Mind you, the bone pullback and meteor meat look are outstanding, but they're not quite don yet...

What is meteor meat? I haven't heard that term before.

Back