2013 battle of the BBQ brethern in ny

jvan

Reaction score
Looking for some guidance. I built a UDS this winter been cooking all kinds of stuff on it. Been thinking of going to a comp. I know I have a long way to go in BBQ cooking. Should I just go and enjoy the festivities or enter in the comp? I feel that I would struggle to make turn- ins especially with only 1 cooker. I want to learn but don’t want to waste my money entering and not learn anything. Any information would be great. Thanks in advance
can you walk around and get sample of food?
are there vendors there?
are there any cooking class going on?

If you want o start comps. I would find a comp with a back yard division. They are cheaper to enter and usually only 2 meats. That would be a good start. Also they usually have the pro comps at the same time. Which gives you the opportunity to walk around and talk to teams. Good luck.

If you want o start comps. I would find a comp with a back yard division. They are cheaper to enter and usually only 2 meats. That would be a good start. Also they usually have the pro comps at the same time. Which gives you the opportunity to walk around and talk to teams. Good luck.

I respectably disagree. Here in the northeast there are few contests with a backyard division. The contests up here are usually coupled with a one day grilling event. I recommend you jumping in with both feet. The experienced teams around you will render you advice. It is rare that a first time team wins so it will be a great learning experience for you. There will be no better education than to try it. YMMV.....

I recommend you jumping in with both feet. The experienced teams around you will render you advice

What Guy said, just do it. Most teams are happy to help out - until you start to win :becky:

I would recommend doing a practice cook at home, on a timeline, with all 4 meats. Doing all the meats at the same time, and turning them on a timeline is a challenge. Be certain you can manage it before you plunk down an entry fee. If you have one cooker, bring a cooler to rest the big meats, and practice getting them out early so you can get the other on. As long as the big meats are over 140 degrees at turn in time, you are fine.

If you are able to make it to the Battle of the BBQ Brethren and would like to compete, pm me. I'll hook you up with another smoker. Not a problem. I can bring down the Pit Barrel Cooker and you can do your ribs on there. Or you can use the WSM.

I'm sure that you can be put between two friendly teams that can offer advice and suggestions.

The BotBB is a NY State Championship and people take the competition seriously. That doesn't alter the fact that most everyone is extremely friendly and happy to lend a hand.

If you want to get your feet wet, this would be a good place to do so.

Eric

If you come to NY Battle of the Brethren, I will set you up with a mentoring team or put u between 2 teams that can help u out.. also can offer a WSM as an additional cooker.

I also have only one smoker (18" WSM) and I am planning on making my first attempt at competition BBQ at the Battle of the BBQ Brethren. I know it's going to be a big challenge but I figure there's no better way to learn than jumping in full speed. I saw a Q&A with Harry Soo, who also uses WSMs, and he said it's difficult but possible to do a KCBS cook on one WSM so I'm optimistic about being able to pull it off. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the experienced teams at work and hopefully picking up some BBQ knowledge. As long as I don't come in dead last I'll be happy!

Looking for some guidance. I built a UDS this winter been cooking all kinds of stuff on it. Been thinking of going to a comp. I know I have a long way to go in BBQ cooking. Should I just go and enjoy the festivities or enter in the comp?

Either way is a win. The venue is a great place for a competition. The teams that will be competing are a truly great, helpful, friendly bunch. It is fun to be there and just visit and hang with a team or teams. If you can accept the likelihhod that you're not going to do very well in your first competiton, than there is no pressure and the competition can be fun; just look at it as a learning experience. That said, should you decide to enter my advice would be to just enter the BBQ competition and skip the grilling competition. There will be a lot less pressure and it will afford you more time to settle in and meet other competitiors.

I feel that I would struggle to make turn- ins especially with only 1 cooker.

1 cooker may be a struggle, but it is doable with proper planning. Plus, you already have offers above for loaners which will take the "1 cooker" challenge out of the equation. That is just an example of the truly great, helpful, friendly bunch that I mentioned above. In what other endeavor do you find competitors that will help you?

I want to learn but don’t want to waste my money entering and not learn anything.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to enter a contest and not learn anything, unless you are completely stubborn and unteachable, and/or completely drunk out of your mind the entire weekend. If either one of those are the case, than do everyone a favor and stay home!

If you want to learn, then your first competition will be an eye opener, revealing two things. First, you'll learn and be amazed at how much you actually know, and secondly, you'll also learn and be amazed at how little you know. :twitch:

Any information would be great. Thanks in advance

You;re welcome.

can you walk around and get sample of food?

The short answer: no.

The long answer: As a Brethren, you will find yourself welcome in many teams' sites and probably be offered both food and beverage. Again, the competitors will be a truly great, helpful, friendly bunch. Just be willing to introduce yourself, and don't do so with an expectation that you'll be fed.

are there vendors there?

Yes, there are. There will be BBQ vendors, and the host is a bar so they will be vending beer and alcohol, and it's always a good idea to give them business in appreciation for the venue that they provide. They usually have some very good locally produced beers on tap served from their beer trailer.

are there any cooking class going on?

There have been in the past. I don't know if that has been finalized yet for this year.

FYI, depending on where you are in MA, if you come to the comp, it may be beneficial for you to travel via the ferry from New London CT, to Orient Point, NY. It's a nice relaxing ferry ride and may save you significant travel time. It also avoids the traffic going through NYC.

As a final note, I'll extend an offer to you to hang with us for the weekend at the competition, or if you decide to compete you may request that you be placed next to us and we'll impart to you what little information and help that we can. We're usually good for a call or two each competition, so we might actually know something! Now if only we could get all four cyclinders to fire together . . .

Last edited:
If you are going to try and compete, accept one of the offers to borrow another WSM. You are going to be struggling enough at your first contest, no need to have added pressure of trying to fit it all into only one cooker.

Like the others have said don't be afraid to ask for help. I'm trying my best to be able to make this contest, if I'm there don't be shy, come by and ask if you have any questions (just a heads up though, I am Mr. AntiWeber so don't be surprised if my first suggestion is get a different cooker :becky:)

jvan, do it! The brethren helped teach me everything I know. I wouldn't be able to build a box today if it wasn't for most of the guys you're going to meet. Everyone's willing to help, it's a great morale.

As a final note, I'll extend an offer to you to hang with us for the weekend at the competition, or if you decide to compete you may request that you be placed next to us and we'll impart to you what little information and help that we can. We're usually good for a call or two each competition, so we might actually know something! Now if only we could get all four cyclinders to fire together . . .

[/QUOTE]

Hey Tim, If the offer is open forget the new guys, I want to be next to you. lol Matt

If they put you next to the Polocks don't forget to bring a crash helmet.:razz:

Looking for some guidance. I built a UDS this winter been cooking all kinds of stuff on it. Been thinking of going to a comp. I know I have a long way to go in BBQ cooking. Should I just go and enjoy the festivities or enter in the comp? I feel that I would struggle to make turn- ins especially with only 1 cooker. I want to learn but don’t want to waste my money entering and not learn anything. Any information would be great. Thanks in advance

I agree with the above responses. Come on down! This will be our second year.... Great people, great contest.

I know you have offers of other pits to borrow...but if the UDS is the only pit you're comfortable cooking on, let me know and I will bring one for you.

Hope to see you there.
Chuck

Using one cooker will be an additional challenge, if you can avoid that you should. Figure your UDS can do the big cuts (brisky and poak) and use a kettle or a wsm for the ribs/chix.
It's a fun comp and all competitors are very friendly helpful, especially if they know you're a first timer.
Just watch out for 2 guys delivering egg sandwiches in rain Sunday morning, I think they keep them in their shorts so they dont get cold. :icon_smile_tongue:

Using one cooker will be an additional challenge, if you can avoid that you should. Figure your UDS can do the big cuts (brisky and poak) and use a kettle or a wsm for the ribs/chix.
It's a fun comp and all competitors are very friendly helpful, especially if they know you're a first timer.
Just watch out for 2 guys delivering egg sandwiches in rain Sunday morning, I think they keep them in their shorts so they dont get cold. :icon_smile_tongue:

i cant believe you gave us away.... :mmph::mmph:

so much for trade secrets.! :drama:

Phil,, It's only a secret among the Brethren. Although it is funny watching you and Sled riding around like Tooty and Muldoon hawking breakfast. The only better golf cart pairing was Paul Kirk and Willie. Classic. Matt

The tradition of breakfast delivery is me and Jeremy from out of the ashes. Sled is still counting sheep at that time of the morning. :sleep:

Back