request for help!

pom

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Let me explain, I like well seasoned, spicy and hot. So I trawled the net looking for some rubs to compliment my taste. I found a couple and they worked well. But SWMBO absolutely doesn't like hot at all, and when i left the 'heat' out of these rubs they tasted and smelled aweful. Not at all bbq.

So please could I call on the brethren to help me out of the doghouse with a simple sweet and sassy rub that will get me back in SWMBO's good books.

thanks!

Pom

Heres one I use sometimes, simple and tasty

1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons Old Bay
1/4 cup dry mustard
1/4 cup sea salt
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper

thanks!

Can i ask what is 2 tablespoons Old Bay and do you mean white or black pepper ?

thanks

Pom

One of our own (Big Brother Smoke) produces and sells his own rub, which I find suits both tastes without overpowering either. His Company is called Simply Marvelous BBQ, and the rub I am refering to is his Sweet and Spicy Rub. You can PM him here for details.

Old Bay was originally designed as a crab boil seasoning, but it has a mild almost cajun-like spice to it ... it's like Jonny's seasoning salt, it works with almost anything... you can find it at any grocery store.

When I was first working on the rub, it was missing something and Old Bay did the trick, and it's black pepper.

being in England I can't source 'old bay', could anyone elaborate to its makeup ?

thanks

Pom

http://www.oldbay.com/

Heres one you can make yourself
http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/oldbaymix.htm
Make your own Old Bay Seasoning mix to store in your pantry.
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

• <LI class=ingredient>1 tablespoon ground bay leaves <LI class=ingredient>2 teaspoons celery salt <LI class=ingredient>1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard <LI class=ingredient>1 teaspoon ground black pepper <LI class=ingredient>1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon ground celery seeds <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg <LI class=ingredient>1/2 teaspoon ground ginger <LI class=ingredient>1/4 teaspoon ground allspice <LI class=ingredient>1/4 teaspoon ground cloves <LI class=ingredient>1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes <LI class=ingredient>1/8 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Preparation:

Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container and store in a cool place. Use with seafood or chicken. Makes about 1/4 cup.
If you want to make this with fresh spices you grind yourself, use this recipe for Whole Spice Old Bay Seasoning Mix. And, as always, adjust the spices to your own taste. You can sometimes find ground bay in your supermarket, but you may have to grind it yourself. Be sure to use dried bay leaves, not fresh, and grind to a powder.

One of our own (Big Brother Smoke) produces and sells his own rub, which I find suits both tastes without overpowering either. His Company is called Simply Marvelous BBQ, and the rub I am refering to is his Sweet and Spicy Rub. You can PM him here for details.

DITTO!!! X2:thumb:

I will also vouch for Simply Marvelous, and the cherry and pecan rubs are even better if you want no spice. I wonder, how sensitive is the original poster's wife to pepper and spice. I have met folks that consider Old Bay to be a pepper blend.

I have found that the simplest spice blend of kosher salt (1 part), medium grind black pepper(2 part), garlic granules(.25 part), paprika(.5 part) and a little turbinado sugar(.5 part) if you want sweet is a good flavor. If you want to add this to your favorite herb blend, you end up with an excellent season-all as well.

Having been in the heat dog house for lo over 20 years I found that over time she got used to the heat, whu nu she'd come around the mountain. Now theres only 1 kid in the house who doesn't "like" heat tho last week he ate some rather spicy Thai..... In time they will... in time all will

Back