• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steam Powered Rotisseri

Jan82

Reaction score
Ok folks I'm new to the forum. A bit more information about myself - I'm a South African where we call a BBQ a Braai and we take it seriously in fact we have a national holiday called Braai-day! I work as a lecturer in mechanical design and thought some of you might enjoy one of my designs...

I have built a small scale steampowered rotisirie BBQ and thought that some of you might enjoy to see a video of it in action? A short video (13 seconds) of it in action is attached to this post.

Some more details on the system - it uses a very small reciprocating double action steam engine that rotates at a speed of about 1000 RPM that speed is reduced by means of a set of gears to a speed of about 3 RPM.

This proof of concept grill can only cook 2 chickens at a time as in the video. But the idea is to design the next generation of this grill to be able to grill a pig or a sheep (Sheep rotisserie braai(BBQ) is very popular is South Africa) and is usually refferred to as a sheep-spit-braai or Pig-spit-braai.

Anyhow thankyou for taking the time to read my very first post and I hope to be able to add to the body of knowledge availible on this awesome site!

Attachments

• SteampoweredSpit.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 282
Pretty slick! Looking forward to the pig spit.

Welcome to the forum from north Florida. My browser can't connect to your link.

Very cool! My rotisserie requires requires access to electricity but that one could be used anywhere. :thumb:

Welcome to the Brethren.

I can't see the video but it sounds like a great idea. Welcome to the forum!

Downloaded to my media player with no problem.

My dad (Mechanical Design - Aerospace (NASA) - engineer) would have LOVED that. :thumb:

I imagine it would have elicited a chuckle or two of sheer delight.

neat

reminds me of one of those little toy steam engines I had when I was a kid.

I wish I would have kept that thing. It was really cool. I had a bunch of attachments for it too

Awesome:clap:
I take it you are using the heat from the charcoal to generate the steam?

Thanks for the comments and welcoming messages!

Yes the basic principle is to use the heat from the coals to generate the steam and to cook the meat. Very important is to have a safety valve otherwise your whole pressure vessel can go boom! Hehehe, I will post Pics as soon as I get some time.

I will try to get the video on youtube as well. And will see what i can do in the way of posting the blueprints for this. One of the issues in South-Africa is that our power supplier is very iffy, thus the getting a power failure mid Braai can be catastrofic, and starting the generator just for a rotisserie seems wastefull (since fuel is also very expensive), hence the steam-spit was born.

Off to work I go!

link us up to a youtube video
insert pictures

Welcome to the forum from north Florida. My browser can't connect to your link.

Can't see it, but it sure sounds interesting, especially for camping trips.

I can't see the video but it sounds like a great idea. Welcome to the forum!

Great idea! Iwish I could veiw it as well.

For all the people unable to view the attachment here is a YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RseFNnyUFHE

Back