• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Onyx oven

Downeyhead

Found some matches.
Reaction score
does anyone here have experience with the BBQ Guru Onyx Oven?

I am looking for a new smoker with more capacity as I have a WSM 18" now. I like the price point as Backwoods, Pitmaker, Stumps. are considerably more $.. What are you guys using?

I don't own one but have cooked next to who are those guys? , very impressive and fuel efficient

I bought one the first season they came out.
It does a good job of cooking.
Burn time on full charcoal box @ 225 degrees is about 14 hr.
Build quality ain't there.

For example. I keep it in the garage when I'm not smoking. Easy enough for 2 people to move around (or 1 person with a strong back). Didn't pay much attention to it this winter.
Got ready to fire it up this spring and saw this:

LasVegas2011009.jpg

And this:

LasVegas2011010.jpg

I thought wow, had no idea I left the thing so filthy last fall.
Got out a rag and cleaner to make her pretty again and discovered that is rust coming through the powder coat finish.
That's after one season housed full time in my garage.

But it makes good ribs.

ribs10-2010-onyxoven004Small.jpg

It's got some other problems that I've commented on before.
Try a search.
You make the call. Wish I'd got something else.

One thing I dont see on any pics is an air intake except for the guru adapter. Do you have to use the guru in order for this to work? I like to run cookers without any power, one less thing to go wrong.

One thing I dont see on any pics is an air intake except for the guru adapter. Do you have to use the guru in order for this to work? I like to run cookers without any power, one less thing to go wrong.

It's on the back.

does anyone here have experience with the BBQ Guru Onyx Oven?

I am looking for a new smoker with more capacity as I have a WSM 18" now. I like the price point as Backwoods, Pitmaker, Stumps. are considerably more $.. What are you guys using?

What capacity do you need????

bob, thanks for the info... was telling my brother who is looking for a cabinet smoker, to check out the onyx but will advise another route. sorry about your experience.

scott

I have been researching the HECK out of cabinet smokers. I looked at the Onyx but steered away after reading more and more about them. I ended up with one of the 5 or so other GREAT pits out there now.

I went with Superior Smokers SS2 due to the overall gravity fed design but with numerous improvements as well as its competive price and large racks on a failry small cooker.

Again - there are several GREAT quality units out there give a look to Superior, Stumps, Backwoods, Spicewine, Pittmaker. They all seem good....

bob, thanks for the info... was telling my brother who is looking for a cabinet smoker, to check out the onyx but will advise another route. sorry about your experience.

scott

I really like the folks at BBQ Guru.
Their temp control systems are tops.
Just can't understand why they let the Onyx Oven go out the door subpar.
That kind of rust under the powdercoat is a deal breaker.

I spoke with Bob @ Guru a couple months ago and he assured me that issues were listened to and things improved. I am going to give the onyx a try one of these days.
Your right Bob, it should have been put thru every scenerio before market.

Personally, I would take one of these for $917:

over one of these for $995$ any day - there is no comparison in quality:

But don't get me wrong, I love my BBQ Guru! :thumb:

Personally, I would take one of these for $917:

over one of these for $995$ any day - there is no comparison in quality:

But don't get me wrong, I love my BBQ Guru! :thumb:

The Chubby is an absolute kick ass little cooker....especially for the money and if you are only going to have one cooker it or the Party is the way to go. I know we do not purchase these as grills, but the removable water pan feature really does transform the chubby into a good grill. I loaded mine up with burgers for a party a few weeks ago and let it rip. I think there were 40 burgers in at one time....It did a good job!!!

I've had my Chubby for a few months now and absolutely love it! You can't go wrong with a Backwoods Smoker.

I got the onyx oven for Christmas and have cooked 4 times. 3 times practicing for brisket competition and once with a smoked turkey just figuring the hot spots. The early results are all positive. Using the cyber q and a 10 hour cook time I had to add charcoal after 7 hours @ 225. Approximately 15 degree shelf difference. Other team members use the backwoods and have been impressed with the performance. Realize there is a difference with the backwoods where the heat goes from the top to the bottom giving a more true inverted heat whereas the onyx oven heats thru the back and sides with less but still some inverted heat. Love the fact that pans can can go from the onyx straight to the cambro with no switching. Firebox had a issue but bbq Bob is taking care of that. Service is great here.

Back