ECCOTEMP L5 Tankless hot water heater

bmonkman

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Not sure if it is ok to post this here, but I figured as I would only use it during competitions it would be. (Mods, if this is not the right place please feel free to move it.)

Has anyone had an experience with this product? Does it stand up over time? Any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of? Looks like it is going for a decent price on Amazon.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Brian

We have that one, and at first had lots of leaking problems with the fittings, but it turned out that it was really just the person who put it together. We had it hooked up as part of a trailer that we longer have access to, so when the trailer left, we bought some new hoses (color coded washing machine hoses) and a new LP regulator, and it fired up the first time no leaks whatsoever.

I will say that it's probably not the highest quality but for occasional competition use, it works great.

Only downside I can see to this model is, we don't always have on-site access to a water hose at comps. It's always there somewhere, but some venues require you to haul it in buckets/bottles from a "central" location. This one appears to require a direct hose connection.

We used a Coleman on demand heater for a few years, and still carry it as a back up. I've had a few issues with it, but none we haven't been able to overcome

Only downside I can see to this model is, we don't always have on-site access to a water hose at comps. It's always there somewhere, but some venues require you to haul it in buckets/bottles from a "central" location. This one appears to require a direct hose connection.

We used a Coleman on demand heater for a few years, and still carry it as a back up. I've had a few issues with it, but none we haven't been able to overcome

You are correct. In fact, the heater won't even turn on if there's not a certain level of flow in the water, I don't know if an electric pump would suffice for the amount of flow you'd need.

I have the Eccotemp L10 and love it. Used it at my last comp and it worked like a champ. Very easy to hookup and use. Plenty of Hot water, thats for sure.

I just had a look at the website and the unit requires a water source with 20lbs minimum pressure to work so you would need a pump without a water source. I don't think I would use this in a trailer either. In a trailer, an electric water heater would be a better choice.

If used...

Be sure to drain the unit via the drain plug...

In the winter, I had forgotten to drain and it cracked the coils from the frozen water...

Customer service is very good from the distributor

I just had a look at the website and the unit requires a water source with 20lbs minimum pressure to work so you would need a pump without a water source. I don't think I would use this in a trailer either. In a trailer, an electric water heater would be a better choice.

I have a hand truck that I use for my Heater. Makes for a little more setup, not hard at all though. Depending on how much hot water you need and your space to work with deff would make a difference on going with a electric or gas powered one

I have gone through 2 L10's and I love them. If you do not drain them well before winter the copper cool will rupture. I use them on my concessions trailer paired with a shurflo diaphragm pump and it works awesome. You can get a shurflo pump in 12 or 120 v versions. They are on demand pumps so when they sense a pressure drop they kick on. Works very we'll mates to this unit. My only gripe is that they are susceptible to losing fire in the wind and the water temp then fluctuates.

. You can get a shurflo pump in 12 or 120 v versions. They are on demand pumps so when they sense a pressure drop they kick on..

I got one of these for Christmas but have not set it up since our 1st comp is not till may. Papabear what Shurflo pump are you using?

How hot do these things get the water? I think someone mentioned to me before that "hot" is a relative term when it comes to the performance of these things.

How hot do these things get the water?

Two adjustments on the unit change the water temperature...

Slow the water flow and turn up the flame and you will burn yourself...

We looked at those and decided to go with the Coleman hot water on demand.They are a little more pricey, but we can have hot water any where. The unit has a built in pump and comes with a 5 gallon bladder with a handle (for those SAM's cooks where you have to carry water) and we also got the garden hose adapter for those comps that have running water on site and the carry case.
The unit has a motorcycle battery for power(will last all weekend easy) and uses the small propane tanks for heat.Tanks will last 2-3 comps.
This was purchased on request by my wife as she is the primary dish wahser.

$bill, im not sure of the model. I remember it is an 8000 series pump 12v and I think it's got a 60psi switch in it. 1.8gpm. Works like a charm.

Back