I have to share this comment card

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I understand this was not my best chicken ever and I am not even complaining. I just find it funny the different things people score down for when judging.

This is an exact quote from a Judge's comment card

Too shiny very uniform a little dry.

I understand maybe it was not moist and I understand that comment, but to tell me the chicken was too shiny??? Them telling me that tells me I achieved what I wanted, a nice ruby red shiny piece of chicken. Has anyone else ever been scored down for shiny uniform chicken???
Well here are the scores from the judge.

That's funny! I got one once that said my skin had perfect bite through skin. Problem is I burnt the skin and turned the pieces in skinless!

Yes. I was at the same comp and got "Super bland, Too shiny, jelly looking. Not BBQ'D looking." 546. The rest of the judges seemed to disagree. I just shake my head and keep cookin'.

I have had people looking at pictures of comp boxes make the comment “What’s the shiny stuff? Can you eat that or is that just for show?”
Maybe you could add some grill marks. :)

I received a comment card that said I had too many greens in the box. Got a 6 in appearance. Funny enough they said that I would've gotten a 9 if it weren't for too many greens.

My wife and I judged a teen beauty pagent a few years ago with 4 other judges. We narrowed down the girls to 3. When it came time to place a final vote, 2 of the judges said they didn't like one of the girls because she looked "to polished, to perfect" The rest of us just sat there confused. I don't get it. Anytime your dealing with subjective opinions, this is what you get. You just gotta shake your head & laugh it off.

unfortunatly, my wife was one of the judges that thought the girl was too polished. We gave her the crown anyway!

Unfortunately, those comment cards serve no purpose for us cooks than to do what we're all doing with this thread... getting a laugh or two out if it. They need to just be scraped by KCBS and save a couple of trees.

Unfortunately, those comment cards serve no purpose for us cooks than to do what we're all doing with this thread... getting a laugh or two out if it. They need to just be scraped by KCBS and save a couple of trees.

So true. I didn't even know they were still being played with.

I got a comment card this year that has me confused. Just terrific looking wonderful flavor awesome keep up the good work :
The score

And have been told now twice on comment cards that my chicken looks too perfect and looks like shiny plastic.
UGH.

Anyone up for a "Comment Card Wall of Shame"?

We can post the the outrageous/offensive/you name it! Kind of like the "worst turn in box" thread.

One of yesterday's tough judges gives us the once over on PORK:
777 "Looked a little mushy, pulled looked mushy but wasn't, Good job cooking Nice flavor"

See what happens when you get carried away with the carnuba and buffing wheel?

I am prowd to say that of my many 13th place chciken finshes none of them look like shiny plastic pillow puffs. They looked like chicken

One of my comment cards for ribs this past weekend said "tasted like pot roast." I have to admit that my ribs were bad so I don't have any problem whatsoever with the score they gave me and I'm not here to pick on judges. Just got a chuckle out of it. Pot roast on a stick?

I understand this was not my best chicken ever and I am not even complaining. I just find it funny the different things people score down for when judging.

This is an exact quote from a Judge's comment card

Too shiny very uniform a little dry.

I understand maybe it was not moist and I understand that comment, but to tell me the chicken was too shiny??? Them telling me that tells me I achieved what I wanted, a nice ruby red shiny piece of chicken. Has anyone else ever been scored down for shiny uniform chicken???
Well here are the scores from the judge.

Only had them say that when I accidentally used spar varnish, instead of pam. :rolleyes:
Guess it can be too shiny -- but usually paired with a 5 for petroleum distillate aftertaste. Picky Farkers.

I am prowd to say that of my many 13th place chciken finshes none of them look like shiny plastic pillow puffs. They looked like chicken

Now if you can get it to taste like chicken maybe you can move on from 13th... :p:p:wink:

I LIKE the comment cards... Even if they disagree, at least you know why, or have an attempt at why. I also don't think that those shiny chicken-flavored marshmellows don't look like Barbeque chicken to me. If I took 13th and 1-12 were uniform blobs, I'd be really happy. Chicken should look like it came from an animal, not a mold. Some variation is more perfect than identical "pillow puffs."

We were probably on the same chicken table.... Mine was absolutley bombed by the judges... I think I had a 137... While it was a low scoring contest... A 137? If I cooked like that and got 6's for appearance like I received, I would not be able to compete as much as I do... But that is also part of BBQ. You lick your wounds and move on...

BTW mine had a nice shine on it, but I didn't receive any comment cards... They were probably too busy spitting it out and didbn't have time to write a comment... :roll:

Back