• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Tamales

Kevin

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Greendriver's Tamale pie thread, but Tamales are a favorite Christmas tradition of mine. Not an old tradition for me, but a fairly new one that has become an annual party at my house. Our tamale party will be next Sunday. I prepare all of the fixin's before the guests arrive, have some beer on ice, and a little Cabo. The house is full of happy people with children of all ages underfoot. We build tamales until the steamers are full, and then "visit" until that batch is done, then do it all over again. It's just a lot of fun.

Here is a link to a post in KCquers roadmap to the Qtalk forum with mucho good info:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=303280&postcount=44

We love tamale time here at the Schutte house. The kids help out the wife, and I get to sample the fruits of their labor. Some years, its the best thing I get to unwrap for X-mas.

I just made a batch Monday. I took some pictures and i'm working on a step by step process of how I do mine. There is nothing better then tamales when the weather turns cool.

112 tamales wrapped and ready for the steamer
Tamales.jpg

I just made a batch Monday. I took some pictures and i'm working on a step by step process of how I do mine. There is nothing better then tamales when the weather turns cool.

Tamales.jpg

Man, I wouldn't mind pulling up a chair at your table.

Tamales.jpg

I know you are going to bring us some!!! Right????

LOL

fil

Are those actual

corn husks or are they the paper wrappers? If they're the paper wrappers, do you find them easier to handle than the husks?

I know, full of questions, but, I'm getting ready to do my yearly tamale making (15-16 dozen) and have always used the husks and was just curious.

corn husks or are they the paper wrappers? If they're the paper wrappers, do you find them easier to handle than the husks?

I know, full of questions, but, I'm getting ready to do my yearly tamale making (15-16 dozen) and have always used the husks and was just curious.

I used corn husks. Never have tried the paper. I think part of the taste comes from the husks. I would think the only thing more you would have to do with the husks is soak them but I do that in the sink while I'm making the masa. You just got to remember to spread the masa on the slick side of the husk. I guess paper wouldn't matter which side but I don't know.

I'd almost put on a badge and brave getting near THAT facility up there, for some of those!

Back