Flies?

krshome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can some one explain why whenever I smoke something the flies come by the hundred to my smoker. I thought it would keep them away but it seems to attract them????????????

Same reason your neighbors come around when you smoke something . . it smells GOOD!

Smoke usually repels insects. How dirty is your cooker? I'm thinking maybe if you have some grease build up that when you cook it is getting heated up and the smell is attracting them.

Flies are the uninvited guests like ants at a picnic. I get Honey Bees Too.

Maybe your garbage area is near your cooker? Mine is about 10-15 feet away and when cooking I might toss the meat packages or brine/marinade and that will attract pests. You might just notice them more since you are standing around the cooker more.

possibly to do with the type of wood? or maybe sugar in the rub?

Talk like a thermacell handles flies and Mosquitos and around here no-see-ums pretty well. I haven't tried one yet though.

Ok I must be cookin some awesome BBQ because the flies are crazy today! No wood just charcoal in my drum, no sugar using an Alabama sauce on chicken wings, no trash I have been taking it to the dump regularly due to a pain in the ass bear. So it be that it's going to be frickin awesome. Enjoy the holiday folks

Funny you should mention that, I saw a ton of tiny flies hovering around the other night when I was smoking a chicken

Hang a couple of gallon zip-lock bags filled with water and drop a penny in each one.
They claim that helps keep flies at bay in outdoor eateries.

picture.php

Check out the BugASalt. It is a table salt shotgun that kills flies. It works very well and is a bunch of fun.
1GsSBXt.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oC4r8zZnB0"]Bug-A-Salt: Slo-Mo Fly Annihilation - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Hang a couple of gallon zip-lock bags filled with water and drop a penny in each one.
They claim that helps keep flies at bay in outdoor eateries.

picture.php

I have seen these hanging on the doors of gas stations that served food. They said it worked. I think I read somewhere that it is the reflection of the water.

I also live in Virginia, but don't have trouble with flies when I smoke or grill. On an interesting side note. I once stopped at a shack of a taco stand in SC years ago. Looking inside, everything was neat and clean but the floor. When the little Mexican lady walked, the flies flew up and then went right back to the floor. I could only guess that they sprayed the floor with sugar water to keep the flies out of the food since there was no way to stop them from coming in.

Back