• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rib Marinade?????

John Bowen

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Do you marinate your ribs before rubbing them down? If you do please share what you use and why.
This weekend I tried a friend’s ribs who marinated them is Stubbs’s pork marinade and they had a strange taste to them. He said it was the lime juice.

I've done the one out of Myron Mixon's Smokin' book 5 or 6 times. I think it's OJ, Ginger Ale, and a packet of ranch seasoning. I never really noticed any difference in the ribs I just rub and let sit overnight in the fridge.

I only rub...marinating seems to store-bought/commercial. the meat is the star, not a marinade, and the wood is the accent

I marinated ribs one time and probably won't do it again. The marinade overpowered the taste of the meat. The marinade wasn't a strong marinade either. It was very mild to the taste. I just tasted more of it than I did the meat. So I stick to rubs.

No marinade here. I slather with EVOO or honey mustard to help hold the rub.

I think we are on the same page here. I have only marinated ribs once with some apple juice and I could not really tell other than they tended to be a little sweeter.

I just wondered if anyone else did it and what results they achieved.

Make a brine out of the fruit juice and you'll tell the difference. Salt can help open things up so you will get better penetration of the juices. I use this sometimes in comps. Steve.

Marinade?.... Not really, but I do soak them overnight... After removing the membranes, I soak them in a concoction that ends up begin 1 part apple juice and 2 to 3 parts water. I splash in some worchestershire (not alot 5 or 6 good shakes), put ice on top... Its more a soak than a marinade... The apple juice is thinned down a lot, so it's not a strong flavor, but it IS there. It's more of a background hint than a predominant flavor.

Not Really enough meat on the ribs to really need marinade.. I Rub then smoke.. I love the results.. Beef Ribs on the other hand can be big enough to really benefit from a marinade..

I've done the one out of Myron Mixon's Smokin' book 5 or 6 times. I think it's OJ, Ginger Ale, and a packet of ranch seasoning. I never really noticed any difference in the ribs I just rub and let sit overnight in the fridge.

Soy sauce in Myron's recipe too. I've used it and it turned out great.

No funky taste at all.

Last night I spoke to a friend that competes KCBS and he swears by his rib marinade. He would not tell me what was in it but he uses Pineapple Juice. He says it helps him "layer" his flavor.

I have to say this has gotten my interest up.

I would say that your friend has given you some good advice and that pineapple juice would be another good choice to try.

I think that if you use sweet ingredients (apple juice, pineapple juice, ginger ale, etc.) you will be okay.

I don't think that you want to use acid based marinades on ribs as they are probably a bit too delicate and vinegar marinades will "cook" them in the pan.

As I said, I liked the Orange Juice, Ginger Ale, Ranch Dressing, and Soy Sauce recipe.

I will give the Myron Mixon recipe a try - I just wonder how it will really work out. IMHO once you put your rub and smoke on the meat where one will see a seperate taste. It seems like all the flavors will just melt together.

I've tried Kosmo's Pork Soak, which I liked. Lately I've been soaking spares in Cheerwine overnight. Everybody at home likes that a lot.

Back