Cutting sauce questions

fmm1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all, i'm wanting to cut my Blue Hogs sauce, so that i can did entire Chicken thighs and not have them absolutely loaded up with an inch of sauce. I've read a lot of threads on cutting with apple juice/honey/water, etc. My question is what ratio do I use? Today i'm going to do some chicken thighs and my plan was to cook em hot and fast, smear some honey on a cutting board. Set the thighs on the honey, then give them a sauce bath. I'm just not sure how much I should cut the sauce and being that I have to order the sauce because no one here sells it, i'd rather not waste a lot trying to get it at least close. Any suggestions?

What Ronelle said. Vinegar and beer are a couple other things that are useful for this.

Ok, cool. I appreciate the help guys! Can't wait get this cook done tonight.

if i cut it at all i use beer . as for me i like a thick sauce

Sounds like something only YOU can answer.......through experimentation.

Go with what you like and what you think will enhance the flavor most I would also be more so looking for the consistency than narrowing it down to actual ratios good luck let us know what you decide on and how it goes

I start w/ either Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Rays, then cut with a more or less equal amount of apple juice and add some Yard Bird to taste. I like it sort of thin, more like a baste than a thick sauce. Sunday I didn't have apple juice, but being a single father of three kids, I had some Capri Suns. Bingo!

Depending on what I am cooking, I like to cut either KC Masterpiece or Sweet Baby Rays with apple juice/honey. I have only used Blues Hog a few times but cut it with fruit nectar and liked it.

How would using half apple juice and bourbon work out for you?
Some people don't like drinking apple juice so go light on it to begin.:-D
A cook told me "If you don't like drinking it, don't put it on your meat."
jon

Back