A Mountain, A Mule Deer, And Man Sized Meat - Long Winded and Pr0n Heavy

Wow What a trip!!! Definitely... MANLY! :heh:
Did the roast cry out when you cut it... Talk about RARE!! :thumb:

Cheers

Great story. Really made me feel like i was there.

All my deer hunting has been flat-lander stuff (Texas & Arkansas) and at most we might have to drag a deer 20-30 yards to the truck. Not sure my fat bod & old knees could handle that mountain stuff.

Brad, that was one helluva share! Congrats and hitting that animal from 280 yds from that sort of elevation shows some real skill.
You sir, are what hunting is all about. No tree stand for you. ;)

Arlin

I loved this line:

the trophy in this hunt was in the effort.

I'm still laughing at that one.

Seriously though... too much work, as your knees obviously, told you.

Brad, that was one helluva share! Congrats and hitting that animal from 280 yds from that sort of elevation shows some real skill.
You sir, are what hunting is all about. No tree stand for you. ;)

Arlin

^^^^^^^^^What ArlieQ said^^^^^^^^^

Great post and thanks for sharing your experience with us.:thumb:

That was a great post and pron. I love the whole adventure. The Meat looked just right for my taste. Very nice job. Wish my ankles were not shot. That is some great country for sure.

That bear scat looks like it was not that old.

Thanks
Rick

Wow What a trip!!! Definitely... MANLY! :heh:
Did the roast cry out when you cut it... Talk about RARE!! :thumb:

Cheers

It stayed pretty moist. Granted, I ate it pretty quickly after slicing but it stayed pretty tender and moist. It looks rare but that is more due to the excess blood from the trauma to the nearby areas.

All my deer hunting has been flat-lander stuff (Texas & Arkansas) and at most we might have to drag a deer 20-30 yards to the truck. Not sure my fat bod & old knees could handle that mountain stuff.

Yeah, growing up in Kansas, it is a different world and different style of hunt entirely. I definitely felt it. When we got home my knees were swollen for a week.

I loved this line:

the trophy in this hunt was in the effort.

I'm still laughing at that one.

That was the honest truth. We were not trophy hunting and throughout the whole hunt would have been happy with anything or nothing at all. As I tried to show, the adventure itself was the true prize. Everything else was a bonus. I know there are plenty of people out there with the money and time to hire guides and ride 4-wheelers around private land looking for a real trophy animal. Nothing wrong with that but I do wonder if anyone that hunts like that can have anywhere near the appreciation that I do for the land, the animals and the effort it takes to do it on your own.

That bear scat looks like it was not that old.

Thanks
Rick

It wasn't. Best guess was it was from the night before. And, that was 20 yards from our camp :shocked:. Luckily we didn't have any encounters. We did spot one the night before I shot my dear. It was actualy down near where my deer was.

That was exhilarating just to read - being there & doing it had to have been simply awesome! I'm guessing your felt seriously alive while on yer trip. Fanfarkingtastic post - thanks for putting that up! :clap2:

That was exhilarating just to read - being there & doing it had to have been simply awesome! I'm guessing your felt seriously alive while on yer trip. Fanfarkingtastic post - thanks for putting that up! :clap2:

It was an amazing feeling. One the second trip up, since I was by myself and my knee already hurt a bit, numerous times I looked back at camp and thought about quitting. Basically I just had to keep setting small goals. Lower on the hill I would pick a tree 30-40 yards away and then rest in the shade. Then these goals began to shrink to 10 yards, then 5. As I mentioned, at the top I was crossing a rock slide and it was all I could do to will my self to take 3 steps at a time. However, reaching that flat ground up top and having my buddies welcoming me was such a great feeling of accomplishment and perserverance.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I grew up hunting muleys back home in MT. You're right about them being a lot more shifty and unpredictable than the whitetails here in the midwest. Then again the terrain (leafy trees, undergrowth, etc.) around here presents, in my opinion, a lot more of a challenge than the mountains and prairies. Looks like you had a great time and you're right...the trophy is the hunt, not the animal. Great job and I hope you get to enjoy many more in the future!

Outstanding thread! Love the pics, it was like I was right there with you. Congrats on a successful hunt and those 'straps looked GREAT!!!

Awesome post Brad!!! :eusa_clap Rifle season begins here in another week... Looking forward to Elk backstraps! :thumb:

Back