Chimney Steak Clusterfark! Sous Vide Style!

KnucklHed BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven't entered a TD in a while... but I liked the sound of this one and it just so happened that I was doing steak for dinner anyways!

Here's the Official TD Entry Thread for this category.

Usually I use the reverse sear method for thicker steaks, but recently I've started playing around with doing them sous vide style, albeit a poor man's sous vide, but you know, what ever...

Here we go - 1lb bone-in rib steak all bagged up and ready for the hot tub! Cracked black, pink salt and a little garlic pow.

I've found that if I fill a large pot with 130* water, keep it on low and drop in the goodies it usually settles right into about 120* and slowly raises to around 125* over the next couple of hours - just starting out here... Oh, and yellow thermapens are the best for this sorta thing. :wink:

Had to dig around quite a bit to find my chimney starter, and when I found it, there was a little bit of adjustment to be done...

Once it was fired up with my favorite lump I tossed a pound of crab legs on for a couple min.

And then the rib steak... After 2 1/2 hours in the water, it got up to 124.6*, so all it needed was a quick sear to finish it off

The plate could have been a bit bigger! :heh:

The Throwdown "Special Rules" require a picture with the steak placed on metal pokie thingies, I can't decide which to go with, maybe ya'll can help me out deciding on that

OR

Gotta say, it was pretty stinkin' tender!!

I must have been hungry!! :becky:

Thanks for lookin'!! :thumb:

As soon as I get done wiping the drool off of everything, I'll take another look at that amazing thing I just saw.

He still cooks! Nice clusterfark entry there

That steak looks amazing!

That is making me drool all over!

Use the first pic on the fork, the second one looks like a baby bite :laugh:

Back