judging class

Hope I can find a few places to judge after the course
maybe here in upstate NY there are not so many judges

Don't expect the food to taste competition grade. Most, including me, had meat that was not good. They are going for consistency and volume in the class, so I think quality suffers.

Basically you're going to learn the Rules.
You're not going to learn anything about what flavor profile the judges are looking for, you're not going to learn if spares are better than back ribs or if St. Louis style tops them both. The class will teach you what the definition of properly cooked ribs is - according to KCBS - what your family & neighbors might like doesn't count. You'll find out what is legal / illegal garnish, foreign object in the box, marking the box or the meat, what happens when there's not six separate pieces in the box - - - and a whole bunch of other stuff :-D.
Take plenty of notes and when the CBJ Instructor asks if there's any questions don't be bashfull. If you ever get a chance to volunteer at a CBJ class later on, I'd say to jump on it! You're going to be hit with more info than most folks can grasp right away - helping out at another class gives the instructor a hand and gives you another chance to listen in.

Just the KCBS rules? They don't go over cuts of meat and preparation anymore? I still have my handouts about pork and beef from my class in 2005 - at the class my daughter took in 2007, the morning of the class was all about various types of meat and the afternoon about KCBS rules & judging - about 8-10 hours. They don't do that anymore?

Lynn H.

Went to the class and had a great instructor and a wonderful experience meeting new friends Hope soon there is an available spot to be able to judge a competition
Living here in the North east I now can be considered for judging at different associations which is a nice about taking this class

Back