Liquid Amber tree

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I cut down a Liquid Amber tree (the tree with the spikey balls). I have a trees worth of logs. Are they worth cooking with? If they're not, into the fireplace they go.

Matt

Please do no smoke any food with sweet gum. It will be some of the foulest tasting food ever.

I read that they used to smoke the sap mixed with tobacco. So its like smoking your food with some Backwoods :p

never heard a sweetgum called "liquid amber" before. is that the color of the...well you did mention spiky balls...oh ..nevermind!

We have lots of sweetgums around here. I hate picking up the balls, and it seems like year round when they get older. But they have good color in the fall.

Because of the heavy sap content, we do not burn them in the fire place. They pop, snap and throw a lot of sparks. Plus all the resins they leave behind, not worth the trouble.

I like to shoot the gumballs off the tree for target practice...assuming there's one in the middle of nowhere.

Heavy sap, crappy spikey balls, lots of maintenance. Hope you can find some use for a tree that I have learned to hate...

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like the whole deal is going into a landfill!

I like smoking Backwoods, but wouldn't smoke food with them.

Matt

If ya burn it, it smells like somebody took a whiz on the fire. :heh:

Heavy sap, crappy spikey balls, lots of maintenance. Hope you can find some use for a tree that I have learned to hate...

These suck for sure, but nothing is worse than having a chestnut tree in your yard. Needly spiked balls of DOOM all over the yard. Gets to the point where you can't walk outside barefoot ever unless you want to step on a bed of needles and spend 30mins picking a handful of spiny splinters out of your foot. Also god help you if you hit one of those things with a lawn mower and aren't bagging or wearing long pants+safety glasses.

I've never been happier to move out of a house than when my family left the house that had one of these in both the front and back yards when I was growing up.

Supposed to be good wood for furniture Marty? Weber handles maybe?

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like the whole deal is going into a landfill!

I like smoking Backwoods, but wouldn't smoke food with them.

Matt

Matt--that is where they belong, or in the "burn pile".
I have cut several down on my property.
They have a twisted grain that makes them almost impossible to split, even with a powerful power splitter.
When it is put up to season, it becomes "brittle dry" quickly and burns like crap.

Have I said that I hate Gum trees?? :-D

TIM

Matt--that is where they belong, or in the "burn pile".
I have cut several down on my property.
They have a twisted grain that makes them almost impossible to split, even with a powerful power splitter.
When it is put up to season, it becomes "brittle dry" quickly and burns like crap.

Have I said that I hate Gum trees?? :-D

TIM
I loved em when I was a kid. I had a going concern picking up gumballs ten for a penny in peoples yards in the neighborhood.:-D

So, basically, these trees are WORTHLESS!!! I couldn't have been happier when wifey told me to cut it down!! I gave some wood to my buddy that helped, and he uses them in his firepit.

Matt

If there's anyone near me that wants some logs, PM me. You can have all you want!

Matt

Back