• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The Weber Smokey Mountain Appreciation Thread

Only had mine since Wednesday, already used it twice, and already completely in love with it. The amount of "don't have to do anything" this affords me over my offset is blowing my mind. The temperatures are so steady I've tapped the thermometer a few times to make sure it was still working. It's like a crockpot for BBQ.

I've gotten the (IMO) few obligatory cooks with kingsford blue out of the way, next two smokes I'm startin in with my preferred (RO) lump. Curious what temp/duration I can hold with it wide open and full of lump.

I love my 22, its definitely my favorite cooker. I think Weber has done a fantastic job engineering these things, and very few mods are necessary. Other than playing with the water pan, and that depends on what you're cooking, the only mod I've had to do is make a smaller fire ring for shorter cooks. I decided on half the original volume, and a little bit taller to keep a very compact fire. What I came up with was a ring that is 6" tall with a diameter of 10.7", this is exactly half the original volume. I made it out of expanded metal, so if you cut a piece 33.61" long x 6" wide, when rolled it will give you the 6x10.7" dia ring.

P1000960.jpg

P1000962.jpg

Here's my original post;
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102347

Thanks for posting pics of your fire ring! That is very nice! :becky:

Only had mine since Wednesday, already used it twice, and already completely in love with it. The amount of "don't have to do anything" this affords me over my offset is blowing my mind. The temperatures are so steady I've tapped the thermometer a few times to make sure it was still working. It's like a crockpot for BBQ.

I've gotten the (IMO) few obligatory cooks with kingsford blue out of the way, next two smokes I'm startin in with my preferred (RO) lump. Curious what temp/duration I can hold with it wide open and full of lump.

Please post back here with your results. :thumb:

Here is my Weber Comp setup. At first i thought the Performer was just not worth the extra money above a regular kettle. However, since getting it for a birthday gift, I've learned that the propane burner to start charcoal, the workspace of the countertop, the convenience of the ash catcher and even the "charcoal bin aka trashcan, wood chunk holder, bbq guru protector"...etc... is all quite handy. I've only cooked 4 IBCA contests but you just don't see these pits down here in Louisiana competition too much. My only two wishes were that the lid design didn't act as a rain catch to fill up the bottom of the pit with water and if there were just a better way of insulating them for better efficiency.

Attachments

• Weber Setup3.jpg
    Weber Setup3.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 557
Here is my Weber Comp setup. At first i thought the Performer was just not worth the extra money above a regular kettle. However, since getting it for a birthday gift, I've learned that the propane burner to start charcoal, the workspace of the countertop, the convenience of the ash catcher and even the "charcoal bin aka trashcan, wood chunk holder, bbq guru protector"...etc... is all quite handy. I've only cooked 4 IBCA contests but you just don't see these pits down here in Louisiana competition too much. My only two wishes were that the lid design didn't act as a rain catch to fill up the bottom of the pit with water and if there were just a better way of insulating them for better efficiency.

Great looking units you got there. I heard the best way to store it in the rain is covering it with a large trash bag first then the Weber cover on top.

I love my 22, its definitely my favorite cooker. I think Weber has done a fantastic job engineering these things, and very few mods are necessary. Other than playing with the water pan, and that depends on what you're cooking, the only mod I've had to do is make a smaller fire ring for shorter cooks. I decided on half the original volume, and a little bit taller to keep a very compact fire. What I came up with was a ring that is 6" tall with a diameter of 10.7", this is exactly half the original volume. I made it out of expanded metal, so if you cut a piece 33.61" long x 6" wide, when rolled it will give you the 6x10.7" dia ring.

P1000960.jpg

P1000962.jpg

Here's my original post;
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102347
Jonesy, the pictures are great, but could you be a little more specific on the measurements?:wink:

Back