Backyard Smoker

• Thread starter ThisIsMyUserName
  • Start date
T

ThisIsMyUserName

My house came with this smoker in the backyard. While I love q'ing, this isn't for me. I put it on craigslist and got a fair bit of interest with a range of offers (some folks think it's junk and others think it's something worth a fair bit), but I don't know what it is exactly, so I can't discern a fair price (I don't want to give it away, but I also don't want to shaft someone who thinks it's something it's not.) Can someone out there help me identify this and suggest a fair range? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0477.jpg
    IMG_0477.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 355
I'd keep it if I were you it is awesome for q and for grilling you won't be disappointed!

Looks like a Kamado grill. Not sure of the brand.

It looks awesome and I would love to use it, but, oddly, we keep kosher and since the previous owner cooked non-kosher stuff on it, we can't use it. Which is unfortunate, but hopefully someone else can get some good use out of it...

It's not odd to keep kosher lots of people do. And forgive my ignorance but I thought there was a way this could be done with a blowtorch. Anyway I am sure someone will be interested in it.

I wish my house came with an abandoned Komado. I would:

A. Check/Repair all the gaskets/seals
B. Build a table for it.
C. Clean it up and hit it with some Hi-temp paint.
D. Rock some awesome steaks on that thing w/ a 700 degree sear.

I'm sorry that you can't use it, but I understand.

If you can find any markings on it that may help to identify it more specifically, but it looks like one of several brands of kamado that are made of clay. They are great for smoking and roasted but the clay doesn't hold up well for grilling.

What it's worth really depends on the condition. The outside looks pretty good, but we can't tell what the inside looks like. There is probably a firebox and maybe a ring in side, plus the grate. If all of that is in good shape it could be worth $150 or so to the right buyer. There are several guys here who have bought similar kamados for under $100, even in good condition, and a couple of guys who have bought ones in poor condition as restoration projects and they paid $50 or less.

It looks awesome and I would love to use it, but, oddly, we keep kosher and since the previous owner cooked non-kosher stuff on it, we can't use it. Which is unfortunate, but hopefully someone else can get some good use out of it...
Crank it up to 1000 deg as a burn to offering have the rabi pray over it and get cooking.

I would say that since it didn't "cost" you anything, you should pay it forward and give it to someone at no charge. The first person to show up and correctly tell you what it is wins.

I just wanna cry when I see a claypot Kamado left out in the elements without a cover. The clay just soaks up water.

The last time I replied to a craigslist ad, it was from a new homeowner like yourself-a Kamado left by the previous residents and they just wanted it gone. I started to loosen the hinge bands and it just collapsed into itself. I eneded up shoveling it into their yard waste toter and walked away with a rusty hinge band!

Give it to someone that will try to restore it and reap the good karma.

How about give it to a friend.

Seems better than conjuring up a price and charging someone.

I love restoring these. Hit me up if you wanna donate it. I'm not far from ya. I can make it pretty.

Thanks all! I mentioned this discussion at work, and a friend jumped in about how he always wanted one of these, so I'm going to give it to him. Hopefully the good karma will come through in the form of good times.

Back