Baby back rib question. Next time??

laveen1

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I smoked a 6 rib slab. They were good, but not "juicy".
Here's what I did: (It was a last minute thing)

1. Out of the freezer and into the microwave (on defrost).
2. Already trimmed, so on with the rub.
3. 15 minutes later, into my 22" Weber Kettle.
4. Briquettes & chips spread about 1/2 way around a very heavy, large, cast iron pan filled with water.
5. Smoked (yes, indirect heat) for 2 3/4 hours @ 230 - 250, when the last coals burned out. Did not open the lid for the entire burn.
6. Then, foiled and put in the oven @ 350 for 1 hour with a little liquid (beer, vinegar, honey).

Nice smoke ring in each rib - great taste. Pulled away from the bone in large pieces, nice texture - BUT NOT JUICY. Can anyone tell me what I should do next time to ensure moist, juicy ribs?

You will get a lot of answers but my advice would be to foil them after 2 hours and cook in oven at 275f for about another hour and a half. Check them and remove from oven when tender.

I smoked a 6 rib slab. They were good, but not "juicy".
Here's what I did: (It was a last minute thing)

1. Out of the freezer and into the microwave (on defrost).
2. Already trimmed, so on with the rub.
3. 15 minutes later, into my 22" Weber Kettle.
4. Briquettes & chips spread about 1/2 way around a very heavy, large, cast iron pan filled with water.
5. Smoked (yes, indirect heat) for 2 3/4 hours @ 230 - 250, when the last coals burned out. Did not open the lid for the entire burn.
6. Then, foiled and put in the oven @ 350 for 1 hour with a little liquid (beer, vinegar, honey).

Nice smoke ring in each rib - great taste. Pulled away from the bone in large pieces, nice texture - BUT NOT JUICY. Can anyone tell me what I should do next time to ensure moist, juicy ribs?

I've had moist ribs by doing all of your steps except for 6. I've never foiled and put in an oven. I would recommend continuing the smoke on the kettle by adding unlit handfuls of coal in once an hour to keep the smoking going. If you have to foil and put in the oven maybe do 1-2 hours at 250 rather than 350? Just a thought.

I have honestly never seen a 6 lb slab of baby backs! But, 3 3/4 hours, even with the hour in foil at 350 just doesn't sound long enough for a rack that size. I prefer baby backs that are between 2.5 and 3 lbs per rack and I cook them at 260-ish for 2.5 hours, then foil for 1.5 hours and then 15 minutes out of the foil to glaze. Your were twice as big, so I would have expect a longer cook time than mine, not shorter.

sorry - it wasn't 6 lbs, it was six ribs (1/2 a small slab)

sorry - it wasn't 6 lbs, it was six ribs (1/2 a small slab):doh:

I would guess the microwave defrost might have something to do with it

I have honestly never seen a 6 lb slab of baby backs! But, 3 3/4 hours, even with the hour in foil at 350 just doesn't sound long enough for a rack that size. I prefer baby backs that are between 2.5 and 3 lbs per rack and I cook them at 260-ish for 2.5 hours, then foil for 1.5 hours and then 15 minutes out of the foil to glaze. Your were twice as big, so I would have expect a longer cook time than mine, not shorter.

Ron, read it again. I think he said a 6 RIB slab. Not a 6 LB slab. I think it's a lot smaller than you think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

Yes, it was "tiny". I found it in

Yes, it was "tiny". I found it in the freezer and decided to cook it. (We actually had leftovers.)

Cooking as you did will never get juicy ribs.
Get a FULL rack of spares if you want juicy ribs.
Theres no fat in loin back ribs, all meat.

Ron, read it again. I think he said a 6 RIB slab. Not a 6 LB slab. I think it's a lot smaller than you think. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

That's what I get for reading in a hurry :oops:

In the immortal words of Emily Litella...

"Never Mind."

To me it sounds like the microwave may of had something to do with it,even on are microwave which has a smart sensor it will still partially cook in spots.

I agree. Microwave bad. Moiture gone.

I agree the defrosting in the microwave is most likely what caused the loss of moisture everything I put in a microwave comes out dry after reheating of defrosting, something to do with how the microwave heats the food.

Microwave i think is whats up. But I will say this, my baby backs ive been cookin are about 2.5-3 lbsh... and i cook at about 250 and they were done in 3 hours. its been about 1.5 hours smoke, 1 hour in foil, 45 min back on the smoker with the glaze, juicy as hell, and fully done

IMHO it was too much time in the oven at 350° that dried them out, it is possible to dry out meat by braising too long.

As mentioned earlier. I wouldn't go freezer to microwave. The day before (if they're in the freezer) move them to the fridge. That way they can thaw out, but not cook any. Then I still try to let mine sit out for 15-20minutes before I put the rub on (most time during trimming ect)

Also, in my short life of cooking ribs. I have quickly learned ... SPRAY WITH APPLE JUICE. My first rack came out dry, so I bought a spray bottle and filled it with apple juice. I tend to spray around every hour ... per Myron Mixon on BBQ Pitmaster's he sprays nearly every 15 minutes. Since Ive started spraying I haven't had a problem with juiciness

Last edited:
Back