New Custom Built Smoker

dannypat21

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I FINALLY got my custom built pit! After having a baby and trying to find enough money to get a pit shipped out to California, I found a local welder who has been building custom pits for a few years now. He built exactly what I wanted at a great price. It's 8 feet long, 1/4 inch steel, and the smokestack is at grate level. I seasoned on Saturday with the help of NRA4Life, the pit had a 20-25 degree difference from side to side. After BBQ'in for 3 years on a cheap offset I am in heaven. I couldn't believe how constant a temp it kept. Will be getting it dirty this weekend and I cant wait.

025-2.jpg

019-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

030.jpg

033.jpg

Sweet looking pit Dannypat. What is the reason for having the smoke stack at grate level?

Sweet looking pit Dannypat. What is the reason for having the smoke stack at grate level?

Thanks Neil,
I had him put the smoke stack at grate level so the heat and smoke go directly over the path of the meat. It evens out the temperature throughout the pit.

Congrats on the pit. What did it run if you don't mind me asking?

Nice upgrade! Give us some pics of that first cook.

She looks like a smokin' machine, looks like he does some pretty nice work.

nice looking pit! I bet you saved a ton of coin having it built out there instead of having one shipped from texas!

Congrats on the new pit! What are the dimensions of the cooking chamber?:thumb:

Nice, I want one. Oh that's right, the honey says, sell one before you buy one.
I'm jealous of that pit. Super--and chef Jim--My wife says that if I buy a new shirt! Imagine her thoughts if I bought a pit.Find a new residence probably!:rolleyes:

027-2.jpg

That picture says a thousand words. :biggrin: You, sir, have a tremendously cool stick burner. :thumb:

Nice looking pit!!..now is the perfect time to get to know it well..good job Danny!

Back