Chicken Brine

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have a good brine for chicken they would likke to share? Plan on smoking a couple halves of chicken this weekend. I usually use a pretty basic brine..

1 Gallon H20
.75 Cup Kosher Salt
2/3 Cup Sugar
.75 Cup Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon tarragon, thyme and black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 Lemon (squeeze in juice and toss the lemon haves in)

Add half the water to a non reactive pot bring to a boil – mix the ingredients and simmer for 10+ minutes. Pour the other half gallon in and let come to room temp.

Poultry Brine

1 gal water
1.5 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup white vinegar
3 Tbl brown sugar
1 tbl pickle spice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Allspice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp tarragon

Heat the water bring to a low simmer add salt & sugar once dissolved remove from heat add the spices once it has cooled ad the vinegar brine 1 hr LB

Another possible alternative is the Cornell chicken recipe. It is widely acclaimed and highly esteemed, especially those of us who Q. I still need to get clear on what links I can or cannot post, but if you Google it, you'll find it.

I have used this recipe from Micheal Ruhlman's charcuterie book and could not believe how flavorful and moist it turned out. Not sure about the protocol for listing a published recipe so i guess I will give the basics. The est can be modified to your personal taste.
1 gallon h2o
1 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
Herbs, veggies, desired citrus
boil, cool, soak 12 hrs.

Dry and let set uncovered in fridge for a few hrs. Pellicle that forms will take smoke better. I usually cook @ around 300 to 375 depending on how smoky I want it.

Mods. Please delete if this was not referenced properly. I'm a newbie here.

Patio Daddio's brine.

+1.

I usually do a simple brine and just add some citrus and brown sugar ilo white sugar, which is PRETTY MUCH Patio Daddio's brine.

My go to chicken brine is:
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
1/2 C sugar
1 palm full of whole peppercorns

Sometimes I substitute brown sugar for the white sugar.
Sometimes I cut and squeeze a couple of lemons or a couple of oranges or one of each.
Sometimes I'll add a few nice shakes of rub.
Sometimes I'll throw in a few crushed cloves of garlic.

Patio Daddio's brine is famous around here and for good reason. I am a Pre-Salt, brine kinda guy, because of the ease and many other reasons. Brineing poultry is a must with me.

Back