Flavorful ribs?

JS-TX

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I compete in IBCA comps. down here in TX. While there may be some truth (depends who you ask) that Texans like their Q a little bit simple. However simple in no way translates to tasteless BBQ. If you don't have enough flavor in your Q, you will have a hard time getting a walk. I think we all know this.

My current routine for ribs is seasoning them overnight with a light dusting of hoocie mama rub (similar to smokin guns hot IMO) and plowboys yardbird. Before I put them on I might dust them again lightly with more yardbird and maybe some rib tickler. I then smoke em for 2 hours, wrap in foil for about 45 minutes or so. I don't put anything in the foil, it seemed all I was getting out of it was the sweetness from the typical mixture of honey, brown sugar and butter. I will then glaze with a combination of head country and my own glaze. Overall it tastes like KC/TX style sauce with some sweetness and tad of heat. I can probably use more heat from what I've been told. This past weekend I did some ribs and I dusted them with some celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, honey powder and pepper after I unwrapped. While these had more flavor, they tasted a bit heavy or too strong. Overall they are good but they are missing something. I feel most of my flavor is in the glaze and rub.

So I have to ask, how do you guys drive flavor into meat of your ribs? I know rubbing them overnight is popular. What about brines or injections? Is there something I should be rubbing them with besides standard bbq rubs like just salt and pepper? I'm trying to keep it simple cause I know that works but I need flavor!!! Thanks:grin:

Last edited:
I have used a sugar/apple juice mix that I let the ribs soak in over night. I also put a little rub on them like you mentioned above. The mixture gets absorbed into the meat and pulls the rub with it. I have had good results with this.

What temp are you cooking the ribs? Cooking ribs hot and fast will add a different flavor profile, may want to try that?

I know not too many people do this but I inject my ribs w/a mixture of apple juice and brown sugar. Theres not alot of meat to begin with so I just poke around until I get in there. To me it resembles when you get a TB shot, needle just under the skin/meat until it bubbles out.

I used to rub overnight, but was told by Tuffy Stone to not do that. The salt in the rub can start to cure the meat and you could end up with a hammy taste.

I've heard that argument before, but I have yet to experience that. There are 2 top competitors in my area and they told me they do the same thing. I'm pretty sure they weren't just trying to throw me off. I'm definitely not married to the idea since I do that now and still not get getting what I'm looking for. Did you notice any improvement when you stopped rubbing your ribs overnight?

Last edited:
an overnight rub might also work to draw out alot of moisture. what about Kosmo's pork soak. i just ordered the combo pack that gives you a trial quantity of chicken soak, pork soak, beef injection and pork injection. you might want to give that a try.

I have played around lately with what I call "Rub Tea" used as an injection. It basically consists of getting some water boiling, and making a tea or stock of sorts by adding rub to the water a little at a time until the water is about as salty as a typical injection., then I strain out the rub solids so that I don't have any issues with the needle.

I have only used it on butts so far but the results are encouraging. I see no reason that it wouldn't work with ribs.

I have played around lately with what I call "Rub Tea" used as an injection. It basically consists of getting some water boiling, and making a tea or stock of sorts by adding rub to the water a little at a time until the water is about as salty as a typical injection., then I strain out the rub solids so that I don't have any issues with the needle.

I have only used it on butts so far but the results are encouraging. I see no reason that it wouldn't work with ribs.

That's crossed my mind as well. Thanks. Besides the saltiness, do you taste any flavors of the rub? I wonder if some basic season all salt would work? Do you use cheesecloth to filter the solids out?

I have played around lately with what I call "Rub Tea" used as an injection. It basically consists of getting some water boiling, and making a tea or stock of sorts by adding rub to the water a little at a time until the water is about as salty as a typical injection., then I strain out the rub solids so that I don't have any issues with the needle.<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
That's crossed my mind as well. Thanks. Besides the saltiness, do you taste any flavors of the rub? I wonder if some basic season all salt would work? Do you use cheesecloth to filter the solids out?

I just get what I can in a fine mesh strainer, and if there is anything left, I just lay a paper towel in a larger mesh strainer to catch that. The reason I don't use the paper towel in the fine mesh strainer is that it seems to want to restrict flow for some reason.

Sometimes you can overthink things also. They're just ribs. Rub em and smoke em.

I've heard that argument before, but I have yet to experience that. There are 2 top competitors in my area and they told me they do the same thing. I'm pretty sure they weren't just trying to throw me off. I'm definitely not married to the idea since I do that now and still not get getting what I'm looking for. Did you notice any improvement when you stopped rubbing your ribs overnight?
We were told that at our first pro comp, so didn't have much of a baseline. However I do think it helped.

Back