Need help with pricing???

M

MCQZBBQ

:confused: Hello everybody,

I'm a newbie in this field of pricing out dishes and need some advice on how to do this? What or how do you calculate a plate of food per person, I was told you charge 1/2 pound pp is that true and if so how do you do this?

Meats that I cook are Brisket, Pulled Pork & St. Louis Ribs with 2 sides normally smoked beans & coleslaw.

One more question I live the LA area does anybody know where I can get any used restaurant equipment? I'm looking for a Southern Pride Smoker.

Thank you

Generally you take your cost, add $1 for incidentals then multiply by 3. This will pay for everything plus put some in your pocket.

Take your cost of food ingredients and muliply x 3 or 4 and don't guess at the cost if your recipe has 3 tablespoons of salt then figure out what salt costs per tablespoon ect. I try to keep my food cost between 25% and 33%

Start by doing some research on what other BBQ caterers are charging in your market, and other caterers in general, since they are all your competition. Since you're starting out you can expect that price to be your high water mark. If you're in a competitive market you may have to price low to get business and build a reputation. Cost plus a percentage is a very rough guideline - BBQ caterers in some markets charge $13 for a meal that others (big cities or areas with little competition) can get away with charging $22.

Then figure out your food costs, per meal. For a crowd of adults, 6-8 oz of cooked food per person is a good amount to budget without having to worry about running out of food. Also make sure you have a handle on all your other expenses - insurance, gas, equipment, etc.

Then decide if there is enough money left over to make it worth your while.

For used equipment, watch Craigslist (www.crazedlist.org is a great source for searching multiple cities or states), Ebay, etc.

Take your cost of food ingredients and muliply x 3 or 4 and don't guess at the cost if your recipe has 3 tablespoons of salt then figure out what salt costs per tablespoon ect. I try to keep my food cost between 25% and 33%
this is good to go on..read your customer and when you offer special services get the X 4....
when everyone says it seems high, explain the Southern Pride all stainless, was 19,000 new...you have 2 mil for insurnace coverage so some dumb ass cant own it when he trips on spilled sauce..You were up at 3 am loading the briskets in that took till 11 pm to trim with the pork butts, diesel fuel is 4 00 a gall hauling stuff around, the f 350 was 42,000...while everyone is pounding the beers, you are cleaning knives and cookers, you wife is pissed at you cause you missed her mothers birthday while you had to cook....you all know what i mean..

Bottom line hold your ground and make cash to make up for the HARD work....sure is fun aint it?

First thing you need to do is have a heart to heart talk to yourself and figure out what you expect. There is a whole big difference between cooking for your family and catering. Figure out what your niche is and what the competition is for that niche. Trying to do it all is a loser, expecially in Downey since that is in the L.A. area with lots of competition and not in the hills somewhere. Make a budget, write a business plan and marketing plan is my best advise. The best way to make a small fortune in BBQ catering is to start with a large fortune.

Back