Meadowcreek PR60 advice needed big pig

Cigarbque

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I am cooking a pig on a rented Meadow Creek PR60 this weekend for a buddy's party. I just got the call that Wilbur just clocked in at 165 pounds dressed. I want to do pulled hog not sliced pork. Any input on time? I plan to cook at 250 degrees. I have 200 pounds of hardwood charcoal. I was thinking 90 minuets per 10 pounds so that looks like 24 hours or so.

My concerns are hitting the serving time. If done early I can't warp Wilbur and put him in a Cambro. That said i don't want folks waiting around for hours to eat. I plan to take the shoulders to 190 / 200 degrees. Target time to serve is 6:30 pm on Sunday.

I was thinking an hour to get the cooker up to temp, 24 hours at 250 and then an hour to rest. Does this sound correct or am I cooking too long? A pig this size is going to max out the PR60 from what I can tell. Any input from those who have used this cooker would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

I have never used a Meadow Creek, but in my pig roaster I have done 1 169 lb pig, and at a target temp of 250 sometimes with spikes up to 270 I used 90 lbs of charcoal and the cook lasted 14 hours. All cookers are different, so this may not be your times.

My cooker isn't a side burner but an oil tank with a heat diffuser plate. Side burners take more time as the heat is even more indirect.

A PR60 is designed the same way. It will hold 100 pounds of charcoal and it has a drip pan that acts as a heat diffuser. Very similar. At 14 hours were you pulling the meat or slicing it? Thanks for the feedback.

A PR60 is designed the same way. It will hold 100 pounds of charcoal and it has a drip pan that acts as a heat diffuser. Very similar. At 14 hours were you pulling the meat or slicing it? Thanks for the feedback.

Actually to save time I chopped it because I was short handed with help, to pull it I should have had let it go a little longer as I started the rest at 195 and processed the meat after the 1 one hour rest.

I now cook a smaller pigs for the wow effect, and cook whole shoulders on the side as the shoulders have a greater meat yield.

It takes me about 16 hours to do a 100 lb dressed in my pr 60 that is at 275.
I think you would be good on your timeline, you can slow it down but its tough to rush it.
it should fit fine by the way.

Back