Question about cooking HnF brisket

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been doing HnF briskest a couple of times and the results have been pretty good so far. But the last time I did it and the flat on the opposite side of point was thinner than usual and it ended up being burnt while closer to the point was much juicier which is expected. Did this end up being burnt because it was thin? Or because of the high heat? The flat was a little thinner than normal. Any thoughts?

One thing I always try to do with things like brisket is put the thicker, fattier end of the meat closer to heat source and the thinner, leaner part away from heat. In a UDS with no deflector, that would mean placing the end of flat on the outer edge of grate and trying to get the point over center of grate. In an offset, point towards firebox, flat away from it.

Same thing with poultry, dark meat, or thicker ends (think leg quarters) closer to the heat. In a UDS with no diffuser, breast towards outer edge, hind end closer to center of grate. In an offset, breast away from firebox, hind end closer to firebox. You just have to know your cooker and figure out how to place the meat.

If I get a packer that has a long taper at the edge of the flat, I trim off that taper, square it up. I rarely get good results leaving that thinned than 1" section on.

Chances are it overcooked in the thin area because it was thin. Getting really juicy pieces from the center of the flat is normal though. This is the primo area for the flat.

Don't buy briskets with thin tails or a landarc suggested trim it off and use it in Chili. I won't but a brisket that has a flat under 1" in thickness in the thinnest part

I try to buy briskets with nice chubby flats, maddeningly, I still get fooled from time to time

Back