• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

RF Offsets - Warmers

tnfan47

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know the many uses one has with a warmer after searching several threads.

The question I have is it better to have one added on than not having one? How many bbq'ers regret not adding a warmer when breaking in their RF offset? Also has any bbq'ers regret adding one on since it's not being used much or for any other reason?

I would add one just to cook in when I didn't want to load up the whole barrell....

My Klose isn't RF, but I do have a warmer and I love it - unlike an RF, the warmer is at the opposite end of the firebox. It's great for holding things at parties and for lower temp smoking for sausage, bacon, etc.

Being able to hold and/or cook at lower temps in the warmer, smoke in the main chamber, and grill in the firebox all at the same time can be a really great thing.

Those Shirley Fab warmers with adjustable vents from the firebox and cooking chamber look amazing to me.

My Klose isn't RF, but I do have a warmer and I love it - unlike an RF, the warmer is at the opposite end of the firebox. It's great for holding things at parties and for lower temp smoking for sausage, bacon, etc.

Being able to hold and/or cook at lower temps in the warmer, smoke in the main chamber, and grill in the firebox all at the same time can be a really great thing.

Those Shirley Fab warmers with adjustable vents from the firebox and cooking chamber look amazing to me.

^^^ Pretty much all of this, plus I have no problem putting some charcoal at the bottom of my warmer and doing a small charcoal cook in there!

Well the usefulness of the warmer is determined by the design of it. There are some warmers that have been added on to pits that are nothing more than a steel box with a lid, sitting on top of a sealed off firebox and the uses for that are much fewer than for one that gives access to the fire, has a grill top and good ventilation! Here's a Youtube video of mine, one of the most functional warmer / ovens I've ever seen.:wink:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhSn4UkQ_k"]lone star grillz warmer box 2 - YouTube[/ame]

I do not have a warmer. I would like it if I did, but I am not planning on going to the trouble of adding one. I use the top of the firebox for pre-heating my wood before adding to the fire. I just stack as much wood on top as I can. Be carful, if you leave it there too long you will have a second fire on top of the fire box. The pre-heated wood catches fire much faster. Spends less time smou

I love the warmer on my Shirley. I warm the splits in it so they ignite instantly when tossed on the fire. Plus, it can be used as a regular charcoal grill, since Shirley Fab makes them that way. I guess it can be used as a small vertical smoker as well (if I didn't want to fire up the big chamber), but I haven't done that yet.

I really think that it depends on your needs.

I have one on my Lang 84 and like it. I use it to keep things warm and don't cook in it.

You could porbably get away cheaper buy passing on the warmer and buying a Cambro. Here again it depends on your needs as the Cambro will take up space in the car if you plan to tow the smoker anywhere.

My Lang 60 doesn't have a warmer so I use the cambro with it and get great results.

Think this out carefully before spending your hard earned cash.

I look at it as extra cooking space in basically the same footprint. I have a Shirley pit that has a charcoal basket for the warmer for dedicated direct cooks and a baffle from the firebox to the warmer that I just used to cook a bunch of chicken. Still learning how to manage temperature zones between the warmer and main chamber but I like having the versatility.

Plus as mentioned you can put a bunch of splits up there if you're cooking in the main chamber so you always have already source of wood ready to ignite.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a pop baffle between my main chamber and the warmer. There's about a 25 degree difference or more with it in or out.

It's good to have a way to adjust the heat a little bit with a warmer, as there will be needs for different temps in different situations, i.e. you may be cooking in the main chamber and holding in the warmer, which would require a lower temp than if you were hot smoking in the warmer, like finishing off bacon or sausage - or - you start smoking sausage/bacon with the baffle in, and then remove it to finish it, all the while not having to change the temp in your horizontal cooking chamber.

I have two adjustable vents in my Shirley and they work great. This really adds a ton of flexibility to the entire pit. I can keep the warmer at about 175-200 just too keep things warm or I can cook at basically any temp. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend not getting this feature on a Shirley based on the design.

^^ just ordered my SF cabinet model with the dampers from firebox to warmer and main cook chamber to warmer....this is why

You probally oughta get it if it's in the Budget.

I keep seeing all the Large Shirley Builds and keep thinking " Man, forget the horizontal chamber- I just need the Firebox and Warmer Box mounted on casters and I got a Nice Vertcal Smoker!!" :heh:

Get the warmer. Even if you never use it,they make a decent shade when cooking on sunny days!! Seriously I love our warmer,it doubles as a hell of a grill..

You probally oughta get it if it's in the Budget.

I keep seeing all the Large Shirley Builds and keep thinking " Man, forget the horizontal chamber- I just need the Firebox and Warmer Box mounted on casters and I got a Nice Vertcal Smoker!!" :heh:

It's funny you say that because I want to test out a vertical setup. But having never seen a vertical firsthand I'm not sure what to do. Stick a water pan in the bottom of the warmer?

It's funny you say that because I want to test out a vertical setup. But having never seen a vertical firsthand I'm not sure what to do. Stick a water pan in the bottom of the warmer?

A lot of them do run a water pan but some non reverse direct fire like this would just run a difusser. - just have to experiment and see what works for you - make it a removable water pan above a damper or difusser. Do yo run a water pan in your UDS?

I love the warmer on my Shirley. I warm the splits in it so they ignite instantly when tossed on the fire. Plus, it can be used as a regular charcoal grill, since Shirley Fab makes them that way. I guess it can be used as a small vertical smoker as well (if I didn't want to fire up the big chamber), but I haven't done that yet.

+1 on this. I will put 8-10 splits in here and they fire right up when I'm ready for them.

I also have used mine to cook Pizza and steaks in over charcoal. If you decide to get one have Paul include a griddle plate.

Back