View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Blurry shots of cheap arse beef back ribs - woohoo!

It actually turned out to be a pretty dang good meal. Who knew?

I was in Von's Pavilions, where I rarely if ever buy meat, just kinda scoping things out. In the "get rid of it" looking section they had some beef back ribs for around $2.42 per #, and less than that if you have one of those card thingees, which I do. They were previously frozen and one end was cut so it would all fit in the packaging, but the beef looked nice & red and the ribs looked nice & meaty, and after what I did to those ribs it would have been kinda rude of me to ignore them afterwards.

Anyway, after probing and prodding and determining they were sufficiently meaty and supple I brought them home and hit them with Big Mista's Bitchin Beef rub.

I threw 'em in the UDS with some B&B Oak Lump (also available at Pavilions ) and a couple big ole chunks of hickory. I like to hit beef pretty hard with smoke.

I've been cooking without a heat deflector lately on the UDS and I gotta say I prefer to do it that way. I was into the more even temps with the deflector in, but I'm thinking the flavor is better without, and it's worth moving the meat around every once in a while to get that flavor. I did discover a couple weeks ago that I need to cook at a lower temp though or else the meat will get farked up.

I've been cooking at a temp of, um, the hand in front of the exhaust feels pretty hot after 7 seconds - which doesn't seem all that hot, but I got a pork butt done in 5 or 6 hours the other day like that and the beef ribs were done in 3 yesterday, so go figure. It normally reads 250 on the pit therm, but it's been interesting to note that the therm can say different things and the heat coming out of the exhaust can feel about the same.

Anyway, sorry for all . I promised blurry pics of beef back ribs so here y'all go:

The small part right before wrapping and resting (I forgot to take a pic of the big part ) Oh - towards the end of the cook I basted a little with drippings from our Valentine's ribeyes.

These were actually pretty dang good. We had guests and they and the family seemed to love 'em. I also brined a chix, adding Todd's Dirt into the brine and then rubbing with the TD before cooking. Do that! It's killer! Oh, and take some pix of it 'cause I didn't.

So there ya go. Cheap meat, good seasoning, and smoke. Might be on to something here.

Thanks for looking!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->