Tow Vehicle

G

GratefulSmoker

We are thinking of buying a work van to tow our smoker around to comp. The van makes sense to us for storage and a place to sleep at night. What do you all tow your trailers with when you go to comps? Thanks guys.

What will you be pulling? Just make sure you buy enough van/truck to pull the rig, plus whatever you have inside it. There is no substitute for power OR brakes when towing.

Our truck that we pull with now is a F350. If we go with a van it will most likely be a diesel or at least a 3/4 to 1 ton gas engine van.

My competition vehicle is a Ford E-250 cargo van. I fit everything in it. It is a 99 with 185K mile so it cant pull a trailer that well anymore. I did however up until 2 years ago and 150K use it for many years to pull an enclosed snowmobile trailer with 2 sleds in the trailer and 1 in the van. The 3 sleds alone weighed about 2400# total I did it every other weekend up in to the mountains 600 miles round trip and never had a problem and it is only a 6 cyclinder

We've been towing our gear in a 5'x8' trailer with a Lincoln Towncar.
blank.gif

Needless to say, this season we're thinking about consolidating a couple of cars into a tow vehicle.

blank.gif

Needless to say, this season we're thinking about consolidating a couple of cars into a tow vehicle.

That's because Diva and VQ are those rich, pimped out BBQ type people you know. :-D

A towncar is just so more refined than a simple truck. But the spinner wheels are a little over the top.

I almost bought a used diesel Ambulance. Was gonna call it the Meat Wagon. Mrs. Ash said no.....:mad:

I realize this has a salvaged title, but still have to wonder if it's worth looking at or not. Wonder if the salvage title is due to the theft or if it was banged up pretty good bending the frame.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/984269214.html

But back to your question - I pull the Q'chen (24' enclosed car hauler) with a 3/4 ton Ram wit a Hemi - that's 345 horsepower.

345 horsepower here too. 2004 Escalade. :mrgreen: Its only 1/2 ton rear, but my butt appreciates it.

pigpen.jpg

blank.gif

I have to ask, why fix what aint broke? :lol:

We are thinking of buying a work van to tow our smoker around to comp.

How many contests do you plan on cooking? I have seen lots of guys buy pick-ups, vans, trailers and even RV's for the sole purpose of contest cooking. Unless you are going to cook 25 contests a year all over the country, I just don't get it.

We did 16 contests last year, but I would have to run across one hell of a deal to consider buying a vehicle specifically for BBQ. We pull our cooker and haul everything we need in the back of my F150 or in Chris's 3/4 ton Silverado.

I have always been more of an offset cooker, sleep in your tent on a chair kind of guy - so maybe that's why getting a vehicle to sleep in hasn't ever been much of a priority to me. The more we cook, the more we have reduced what we bring to a contest. Having a vehicle or trailor just for BBQ would be just another excuse for me to bring a bunch a garbage I don't need and take our focus away from cooking. But that's just me, I guess.

The reason why we don't use our truck is, like jeff said, that we use it for work...it has trim racks on the back for lumber and such. If I get a van I will use it both for business and BBQ....not just BBQ. The van would just be nice so that I can use it for both....business on rainy days and BBQ on the weekends.

I use a 1993 chevy c1500 with a 305 in it,, works good on both the southern yankee, on a 8x12 trailer or the meadow creek...

I like the new F150. It will tow 11,500 pounds. That is a lot of trailer. I have a Nissan Titan now and it tows fairly well but my trailer is almost too much for it at 7500lbs.

Back