• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boston Butt on the Kettle

mattdean1003

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I made a post yesterday about how much I love my Weber Kettle and all of you echoed with how wonderful and versatile it is. So, today I'm kicking it up a notch. Bells had Boston Butts on sale for 1.49 a pound and I could NOT resist getting this one; LOOK at that marbling!

<br>
<br>

Mixed the rest of my Yardbird and Bovine Bold together in one shaker (man this stuff lasts a while) and tee totally COATED the butt. Ended up using my little charcoal racks and put a Weber pan in the middle with water. Got the thermo facing me, and the vent facing away...hope the butt gets enough smoke. I'm trying a new wood for this one, Bradford Pear. We've got a couple of them that have gotten pretty big and the tree company that trimmed for the power lines ever so graciously left some pretty big trimmings stuck in the tree...I guess from where the branches go up instead of outward, it caught them instead of letting them fall. Nothing the chainsaw and an axe couldn't fix.

Setup:

Butt on:

Looking forward to your end game satisfaction!

Thanks guys. Going for the usual pulled pork but also going for some pulled pork...burritos? I fry a flour tortilla shell in a little butter and get both sides golden brown, put thinly sliced steak on it and white queso cheese then roll it up...and it's so so so good. Going to try it with the pulled pork tonight.

I also just made a revolutionary breakthrough: spray can whipped cream in coffee vs creamer or half and half...wow. Really brings out the flavor of your brew.

4 hours in and it's looking amazing...tastes pretty good too. Can't decide if I'm going to foil it with vinegar and juice or if I'm just going to let it ride until about 6. Been cooking about 300 degrees...my Performer likes to cook hot, even with bottom/top vents adjusted. I'm amazed at just how little I've had to tend to it today. Add a chunk of wood here and there, I think I'm on my 4th chunk (I add one apiece to each of the charcoal baskets) and have had to add a few coals a little bit ago. That's it though.

Dang, if I'd have known it was this easy on a kettle, I'd have never bought my big steel smoker from Academy. That thing eats wood like crazy...and I'm sitting here thinking, I get the same results from charcoal and wood chunks as I do from straight wood. Actually, probably better results, because if the wood chunks are still a bit on the wet side, they'll dry out a WHOLE lot faster than a whole split will.

The big smoker may now be a party cooker

It's looking good can't wait to see how it turns out. I've never done a butt on a kettle.

I can't wait to see it. This is one of my next cooks (hopefully!)

Back