Smoke in a duck

R

rusold

I am doing the gumbo cooking contest next weekend and I was going to slide in some duck with a little smoke in (also doing a duck pond to sway the judges). Just found out that I can only use propane fired cooking devices. I have a cheapie but OK grill and a mega country cooker. Anybody got an idea about how to put a little smoke in my duckies given this hardware??

R

Indirect heat (if your grill is big enough) - get a beer can stand (or heck, use the beer can!) to set the duck up. Get a cast iron chip box (smoker box) or do the foil packet trick and have at it!!

You probably won't need a whole lot of smoke to really make a difference.

Another option would be to spend the bucks for an American Outdoors verticle propane smoker (model 3600 I think) like Brian uses. Or a All-in-one (I think that's the name) by Charbroil or Brinkmann -- you can grill, smoke, or fry on it -- basically it's a turkey fryer with options.

I think these run about $150 or so at Wally World.

Just a thought!! :D

Thanks David

I might become another heretic (sp?) and start using gas ( instead of just passing it)

R

I was only suggesting since the rules of your competition require gas equipment :D Brian likes his and if you look at TKs post with the weekend's bounty you'll see his bud standing guard over a gas smoker (with the gravlox) while cooking the red meat on a charbroil/AO conversion rig. :mrgreen:

I'm thinking of getting a couple of the American Outdoors "Big Block" cookers - inside is 16x24 instead of 16x16 - to use for catering or group cookouts at the church, etc. I figure I could cook on wood and use these as warmers or if I have a push I can use these for the 'que.

Thanks for the link, Mark.

That's one I was talking about = the turkey fryer with accessories!! :D

Mark,

Those look pretty cool - first one was out of stock tho.

I'll have to go see if Academy has any that I can look at.

R

Buy a live duck, put it on a liquid smoke diet, butcher a month later, and viola, smoked duck.

bbqfreak said:
Buy a live duck, put it on a liquid smoke diet, butcher a month later, and viola, smoked duck.

Nice one...you're fittin' in real well.

Sounds better than what I was thinking.

Buy live duck, butcher, roll in butcher paper, light one end and puff.

bbqfreak said:

By the way, what part does the viola play? Godfatheresque background music?

:lol:

Did a brisket once with gas. My electric smoker broke once before a big feed so I bought a tin foil throw away pan like you cook a turkey in. Placed it in the center of the grill full of water and piled wood around the pan (you can bend the pan to fit the space available). My grill (Brinkman Grill King Deluxe) has two burners so I alternated the burners periodically and it turned out just fine. I hate to say it was one of my better briskets. Should work the same with a duck.

Ringo

Back