Best cut of Venison?

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks, but unless you plan to process (read butcher, package, grind, cure, stuff, etc...) you are not saving a dime. Even then you need to already have the equipment (foodsaver, grinder, stuffer, casings, etc... I paid between $150-$200 for processing (fresh cuts & processed) plus another $150 or so for a simple antler mount (gotta keep a 10 point rack)

If you have the option to pick up a cut here or there your probably better off unless you love hunting and love venison, then get out there...it's a blast!!

Thanks.

Yeah I have everything to process a deer pretty much.

Just remember, if you're going to grill any part of the deer, cook til med. rare only, or you'll be able to make a pair of shoes out of it. Good luck. There's nothing better, if cooked proper.

We eat venison in this house at least once a week. All the above ideas are GREAT ones! I like to butterfly the backstrap, stuff with peppers, and cream cheese, then roll in bacon and grill to medium rare.

I tool this one to medium for some company at they loved it!

If you are ever in the North Dallas area, shoot me a PM. I will happily give you a roast and some backstrap to mess around with.

Mrtodd777, wow those photos: how well they are cooked, how you presented them and the camera angles.. you're killing me! :hungry:

Thanks, I might take you up on that offer next time we go down to Dallas. :smile: I could trade you some buckboard bacon or homemade pastrami or something.

As said - do not overcook - rare is really good, med rare ok, well done - yuck.
I butcher my own and make small rib racks.

Backstrap is wonderful - you can cook it whole on the grill or butterfly the loin up and grill.

I like to wrap my loins in bacon and cook indirect until IT hits 125.

Sometimes they get stuffed with feta cheese.

This is actually just a roast off the hind quarter - cooked in my homebuilt smoker over some cherry at 275 until IT temp hit 125.

Surprised nobody has mentioned yet (that I've noticed), but since the thread title asks what cut is the BEST, the answer is the small inside tenderloins that we remove when we gut the deer (so they don't dry out and also to make sure I get to eat them!). Kinda like small hangar steaks. Highly unlikely your butcher can get you those; whoever breaks down the whole carcass is probably keeping them! After that, definitely the backstrap in my opinion.

Surprised nobody has mentioned yet (that I've noticed), but since the thread title asks what cut is the BEST, the answer is the small inside tenderloins that we remove when we gut the deer (so they don't dry out and also to make sure I get to eat them!). Kinda like small hangar steaks. Highly unlikely your butcher can get you those; whoever breaks down the whole carcass is probably keeping them! After that, definitely the backstrap in my opinion.

Shhh.... Those cuts are secret. They disappear without a trace before anyone knew what happened. They usually turn into breakfast at deer camp.

Yeah, those 2 pieces are not for the general public, they belong to the hunter!! You want those....go get your own deer.

Yeah, those 2 pieces are not for the general public, they belong to the hunter!! You want those....go get your own deer.

I can totally understand this, since these aren't farmed but hunted. What hunter would want to give those up? Unless of course, they wanted to make a pretty penny selling them :)

Back