***SPECIAL*** BBQ Brethren "Cook It Like a Brisket" Throwdown!

It's 16* here and 8" of snot, but my UDS is coming up to temp and my entry should go on in about 20 mins....

In the mean time, I'm trying to figure out the word to the song, "Like a Brisket" sung by Madonna.

Like a brisket...
Smoked for the very first time. Ohhahahahaoahao
Like a bris..is...isket... blows my mind...

In a recent thread, someone posted that their Pork Loin came out tough and asked why: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124283

Of course everyone said that he overcooked it and the only way to cook a pork loin is to ~140* and pull. Having memorized most of the roadmap threads, I threw a flag and called foul. Back in 2003 (!?!) Brother Willkat98 suggest smoking to 160*, foil, and smoke it for another hour until it is probe tender. Willkat98 called this his version of TK brisket method:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97074

I believe that Biggie's response was:
Are you suggesting we cook Pork Loin like Brisket?:doh: For fark's sake people!:mad:

Not me. Brother Willkat. But, being that there is a Cook it Like a Brisket TD going on, I had to find out.

We got 8" of snot last night and it is currently 16* outside. What better weather for smoking? But the Maverick wasn't liking it. :p
P1000600.JPG

8# Loin from Sam's.
P1000586.JPG

P1000588.JPG

I cut it in half and then injected. After a short rest in the fridge, I laid down a base rub using Loveless Cafe rub. This was a recent gift. It's pretty tasty, has a bit of heat and a lot of herbs and spices. This was a little heavier than I normally do briskets.

P1000589.JPG

This being my Brisket method, next up is an almost shake and layer of Kosher Salt and Course Pepper.
P1000596.JPG

And, when cooking brisket you better be smoke oak:
P1000590.JPG

Onto the smoker at 250*. Whoa snot. A few pieces of brisket point there too for a little burnt end appetizer.
P1000604.JPG

P1000605.JPG

3 hours at 250* and it was 160*. I wrapped in foil and added ~1/4 c of apple juice. Another 1.5 hours on the smoker and the temp probe read 201* and it was probing tender. Pulled and into a cooler for an hour. It was absolutely beautiful when I opened up that foil. I couldn't believe how much liquid was in there.

P1000611.JPG

P1000612.JPG

Plated up with a little of the juice drizzled over it.
P1000621.JPG

All I can say is "Oh My Farking Word!" It was pretty amazing. Tender tender tender. I cut it with a fork, but it wasn't mush. Tons of different complex flavor layers. Tons of goooood oak smoke flavor. The smoke flavor was amazing. And the rub had good penetration and had a good bbq, herb, heat flavor. It was the perfect rub choice. My wife was shocked at how good it was.

I will definitely make this again. Total cook and rest was like 5 hours. Perfect to throw in at noon and serve at 5:00 and it looks all fancy and tastes fancy. Everyone should try this.

Omg that looks great!! My good friend kcquer was always telling me I gotta do one of these. I finally did one but not as good as yours. Great job!

This is giving me new confidence for my brisket cooked scallops. :thumb:

CD

Fark! That looks great! Just bought a big ole pork loin at Costco today - they're on special :whoo: Some of that may get this treatment. By "may" I mean "will".

Hello, cooking just my third pork butt, getting ready for some football. Finally getting the hang of my primo after two+ years. Will post a picture after it's done and then when "pulled". Thanks, nojail

Cooked like A brisket!

Please be gentle, this is my first throwdown :boxing:

Ok, so the throwdown topic is "Cook it like a Brisket" and everyone is talking about cooking like you would the classic BBQ brisket. But really, if you look at the topic, adding the "a" makes it about the cut of meat, and not it's most synonymous dish. Bearing that in mind, I thought of other great dishes that utilize the brisket.

Two of my favorite dishes with brisket don't translate well to BBQ (Pho and Taiwanese Beef noodle soup), so I started to think about my other bbq related love, charcuterie. Brisket is used in two of my all time favorite cured sandwich meats, Pastrami and Montreal Smoked Meat. One of the very first things I ever smoked after I got my ECB some 12 years ago was Steven Raichlen's turkey pastrami. I'd recently seen a post over on the Broil King Keg forums that reminded me of this tasty treat, and i figured it would be a fun recipe to revisit with one of my new cookers. Without further ado here is my inaugural throwdown entry, Smoked Turkey Pastrami:

All the ingredients assembled. The one change I made to Raichlen's recipe was to swap some of the salt out for cure #1. I figured it would help with a good sandwich meat texture and also keep it safe.
sam3937af.jpg

Breast all rubbed down and ready to sit for a day.
sam3945.jpg

Next night after work fired up the keg to cook it off with a bit of pecan wood. Trusty Maverick showing it was just about ready to pull off. Cooker settled in just over 275 for about 2 hours.
sam3947.jpg

Lid opened and pastrami ready to be pulled out.
sam3948.jpg

Let it cool down and threw it in the fridge for a day. Here it is out and ready to slice. Love how the big chunks of crushed coriander and pepper just adhered to the breast with the rest of the spice rub. My mouth was seriously salivating at this point.
sam3954.jpg

After it was all sliced up I couldn't help myself and had to check if it passes the brisket finger test I have seen others do... yup, she's a keeper!
sam3963.jpg

Pastrami can be enjoyed many ways, and I've always loved it in a breakfast sandwich. Here was Saturday's breakfast sandwich: Egg, Pastrami, Horsey Mayo and a bit of spring greens on a ciabatta baguette with some melted cheddar. mmmm so good. Finished it off with a spring green salad with homemade caesar dressing. Great start to the weekend!
sam3966.jpg

Here's my favorite shot of the finished sandwich. The meat has a nice kick from the pepper and coriander, and has just the right amount of firmness. So much better than store bought, I really have to work on making my own sandwich meats more often.
sam3968l.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That sounds / looks great. I'll need to add that to my list of things to try. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

At first I thought you would have trouble with the powdered egg in the center of the ingredients.

sam3937af.jpg

But after seeing your money shot I see you absolutely scored and the powdered egg hydrated nicely. :thumb:

sam3968l.jpg

:hungry::hungry:

Well, for this throwdown I tried to stick with the concept of cooking like a brisket. For me, the best part of cooking a full packer is making burnt ends out of the point. I love a sliced flat and all but burnt ends are my end all favorite. I toyed with the idea of trying this with a tri-tip but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe next time. So, I went with something I have done before and cooked up a chuckie last weekend while I was cooking another roast for pulled beef.

IMG_0607.jpg

Unfortunately I got a late start on the cook on Saturday and just pulled the chuck once it was done and put it in the fridge after it rested for an hour or so. On Sunday I took out the roast and cubed it up in a pan. Then it got a coating of a mixture of Blues Hog Smokey Mountain and Night of the Living BBQ Sauce.

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Onto the UDS running around 225-250

IMG_0612.jpg

After a couple of hours it is starting to take on a nice color.

IMG_0613.jpg

After a few more hours

IMG_0616.jpg

I don't remember exactly how long I left them on the UDS but it was probably close to 4 hours. Once I was hungry, they came off.

IMG_0641-1.jpg

IMG_0638-1.jpg

And here is a plate full of happiness

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

So there you have it. Burnt ends cooked like a chuck roast cooked like a tri-tip cooked like a brisket.

This thread made me hungry for burnt ends so I ran an overnight smoke this weekend and turned the whole 10lbs slab into fall-apart goodness then tossed in 5 sausages and cubed it all; made a great lunch.

I feel like a rebel :p

Please be gentle, this is my first throwdown :boxing

Wow, talk about diving into the deep end of the pool. It takes some major cajones to make this throwdown your first. :hail:

Nice entry. I can't wait to see how you do in a normal throwdown. :shock:

CD

Wow, talk about diving into the deep end of the pool. It takes some major cajones to make this throwdown your first. :hail:

Nice entry. I can't wait to see how you do in a normal throwdown. :shock:

CD

Heh, thanks CD! Despite the craziness of this special, I was excited to try it as I thought I had a unique take on the topic. I'll be putting in an entry for the street food entry should life allow me time to cook this weekend. Decided on my dish this evening and am looking forward to the cook.

To the colonel, glad you liked my egg. It's from a brisket bird, hence the pinkish hue of the yolk in it's dried form... I was more figuring someone would comment on the uneven "pair" that the garlic powder made then my lil egg creation truth be told... :becky:

Basic "Like A Brisket" Tutorial

I haven't seen many requests recently for "Like a Brisket" tutorials from people who are thinking about cooking other pieces of meat like a brisket for the first time (See the Like A Brisket Roadmap for more info which will help you understand how this process came to be known as "like a brisket"). There are a few brisket tutorials out there (like my own here), but I thought a basic tutorial showing how to make a simple first time like-a-brisket would be nice to have. So I set out to make this here.

This basic like-a-brisket which I am talking about is a no-frills, just plain good and tasty piece of meat cooked like a brisket without all the fuss with explanations or reasonings for why things happen, such as stalls, evaporation, dryness, toughness, etc. I just leave it real basic here. These instructions might make a great piece of meat cooked like a brisket every time with basically zero chance of messing up (or maybe not), with absolutely no hard to understand directions that may cause lots of hard to answer questions to the first-time like-a-brisket maker. If this is your first ever like-a-brisket, and you simply want to know how to make a good like-a-brisket right now, this could very well be for you.

The first time someone sets out to make like-a-brisket they have a ton of questions. What is meat, what is the difference between fat and connective tissue, what causes the stall, do I foil, what woods do I use, what temp do I cook it at, why would I want to cook that like a brisket, etc. I do not intend to answer any of these questions, and in fact, I will shed light on none of them and dodge a couple others.

The first question I am not going to answer is, "What is a like-a-brisket?"

Below you will see a picture of a Round Sirloin Tip Roast from Sams Club still in the cryovac wrapper.
r_IMG_1298.jpg

This piece of meat has muscles and stuff running through it, and is considered a lean and somewhat tender piece of meat. In fact, if you look up info on this meat, everyone will say it will be tough and dry if cooked past 160 degrees internal. That is unless you cook it like a brisket (as hard as that may seem to believe). It does have some fat deposits in various places, and connective tissue holding the whole thing together (otherwise it could not be a piece of meat), but nowhere near as much fat or connective tissue as in a brisket. Technically, all meat has connective tissues, and if you consider the accepted theory that cooking like a brisket breaks down these connective tissues to make a moist, tender product, then logically this piece of meat can also make a tender, juicy product if cooked like a brisket.

This particular piece of meat is USDA Choice as indicated by the stamp on the packaging. Choice like-a-briskets are a good choice if you want a good like-a-brisket. I always look for the best looking like-a-briskets meat-quality-wise first, and then the one that would be the most unexpected to be cooked like a brisket.

I removed the meat from the cryovac and applied a layered rub, the same rub as described in my brisket tutorial thread. I put the rubbed like-a-brisket in a pan.
r_IMG_1299.jpg

You do not have to put yours in a pan if you do not want to. I do not always use a pan when I cook like-a-brisket, so this is optional, and can be determined based on what you are trying to do at the time. One question I will not be answering is, "Why did you put it in a pan".

I put this on my WSM to cook at 270 degrees.
r_IMG_1300.jpg

Three hours later, it looked like this.
r_IMG_1301.jpg

Then I foiled it.
r_IMG_1302.jpg

r_IMG_1303.jpg

The next question I'm not going to answer is "Why did you foil it?". Some people foil their like-a-briskets because they claim it speeds up the cooking and avoids the dreaded stall. The next questions I am not going to answer are "what is the dreaded stall", "why does it happen", and "why is it so dreadful". Instead I am simply going to wrap the meat in foil, the same way wrapping my head in foil helps in other confusing sorts of situations.

The next question I'm not going to answer is "what the heck was that stuff you added to the meat along with the foil"? Sorry, but this stuff is ancient pitmaster knowledge that can only be learned with lots of experience. It might look like carrots and potatoes, but that is just an optical trick I learned to prevent people from shigging my secrets.

I let the like-a-brisket continue cooking in the foil until it was probe tender. I poked a hole in the top of the foil with my probe the first time I checked for tenderness. I used this same hole each time I checked for tenderness, going in at a few different angles to check the tenderness throughout the meat. This helped to keep the foil environment as sealed as possible without having to completely open it and refoil each time.
r_IMG_1304.jpg

The next question I am not going to answer is "what temp was it done"? I have no idea what the temperature was, and frankly, I don't care. What I am interested in is having a tender, juicy like-a-brisket. So temperature does not matter. Tenderness does. It was done when my probe slid in like a hot knife through butter. Now, by chance, the probe I used was my Thermopen, and it did say 207.4 on that last probe, but again, I was not trying to actually take the temperature but instead was focusing on the tenderness. I also did not go by time, but by tenderness. I did happen to notice that it was done after 6 hours and 45 minutes, but that was not how I determined it was done.

I let the like-a-brisket rest uncovered for a bit to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat. The smell was wonderful, and smelled like a brisket. Not all like-a-briskets needs to smell like brisket, especially if they are not beef. This one did smell like a brisket however.
r_IMG_1305.jpg

r_IMG_1307.jpg

r_IMG_1308.jpg

r_IMG_1309.jpg

Then I sliced it. As you can tell, it was tender (it was somewhat fall-apart at the edges but not the center), juicy and delicious, just the way a perfectly prepared like-a-brisket should be.
r_IMG_1310.jpg

r_IMG_1311.jpg

r_IMG_1312.jpg

r_IMG_1313.jpg

So now, with this tutorial, you too can cook like-a-brisket. This method might just work for any cut of meat you can think of (or maybe not). Sure, there may be other ways to add complexity to the whole thing, but starting with the basics like this is the best way to start learning. This is a seemingly sure-fire way to make a good like-a-brisket (in theory at least). Now that you know this method, feel free to start experimenting with other methods you think could make the best like-a-brisket, until you settle on your own sure-fire method.:thumb:

This tutorial is too long. Anybody have Cliffs Notes? Do I need to contract a syllabus for this course?

Back