My new WSM!

djoseph74

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
2013-01-08

Thanks to everyone who helped me pick it out!

Congratulations you're going to love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get her fired up and let's see some prom of her maiden cook.

Enjoy the new smoker.

So shiny and puurdy!~

ZERO need to "season" WSM's, complete waste of charcoal and time. Load it up and start cooking ASAP. :)

That's what everyone says, but Harry Soo said to season it. lol I know, I know, he's competing professionally... What I'm doing now is burning off the residue. The grates and inside had quite a bit. I'm going to fire something up tomorrow night.

Congrats on the new cooker

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Congrats on your new cooker and good luck with it!

Sent from my Android phone.

It'll most likely be a boat load of ribs. I started the initial residue burn, and will season it all day tomorrow.

No no! You season the meat, not the cooker! :heh:

I would wash the cooking grates with dish detergent and water and fire that baby up! This is not a UDS that may have had something else in it that you need to get rid of.

I just acquired a 22.5 WSM too. I also have a 18.5 WSM and mini-WSM. Unfortunately I have too much frozen pulled pork, ribs and brisket in the freezer to smoke any of those. While I draw down on that, I'm watching for chicken to go on sale.

Modifications? None are required as it will work well out of the box. But here are a couple things I do on mine.

• Put in a small eyelet for thermometer probes just below the level of the top grate. I just get plain eyelets at the H/W store rather than get the ones that replace the support bolts.
  • Put high temperature silicone along the grooves on the top and bottom of the mid section. It will eventually seal by itself from smoke buildup but I had the silicone from when I did this on my 18.5.
  • Put 1/4" bolts through the internal supports midway betwen top and bottom grates long enough to reliably support a third grate. I like to lay my ribs flat and this allows 50% additional capacity.

Back