Got a pork shoulder in freezer right now

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Plan on sticking it on the UDS Friday night. How many days should it take to thaw out in fridge should I go ahead and put it in fridge tonight?

Put it in the fridge as soon as you get home. Depending on how cold your fridge is, it may not thaw out by Fri. evening, in which case you can put under slowly running cold water in a pot (and still wrapped) to finish it thawing.

Yeah put in fridge ASAP and if you're lucky you'll be smoking on Friday night!

If I'm thawing on the day of, I always thaw my meats in a clean sink or dishwashing container, in COLD water. It works pretty well.

Drop it into a bucket of water and put in the fridge today. I started thawing a butt Wed last week using this method and it was thawed by Fri. morning.

What's wrong with sitting it out in the sink and letting it thaw out normally? Why put it in water and stick it in the fridge?

What's wrong with sitting it out in the sink and letting it thaw out normally? Why put it in water and stick it in the fridge?

Basic food safety, keeping it in the sink for a long time will have it sitting in the danger zone for bacteria to grow. Keeping it in the fridge doesn't slow the thaw time much and is a lot safer.

Gotcha. I usually buy them thawed and come home and cook them the next day so I've never thawed one, but in case I do I'll try the water in the fridge.

Last pork picnic I thawed took 4 days.
If it's still frozen, put it in a large pot and run cold water over it.
If it's still a bit frozen in the middle when you're ready to cook it, it's fine.

Basic food safety, keeping it in the sink for a long time will have it sitting in the danger zone for bacteria to grow. Keeping it in the fridge doesn't slow the thaw time much and is a lot safer.

I'll agree with everything except the thaw time. I've had stuff in the fridge for 4 or 5 days that won't have thawed, and it would thaw overnight in the sink or on the counter. I try to not do that any more than I have to, though :mod:

I'll agree with everything except the thaw time. I've had stuff in the fridge for 4 or 5 days that won't have thawed, and it would thaw overnight in the sink or on the counter. I try to not do that any more than I have to, though :mod:

If its just in the fridge it can take quite a while, but if you submerge it in water and then put it in the fridge it will thaw much more quickly. I've thawed a 22 lb turkey which was frozen solid in 3-days using this method. The cold water will thaw things much faster than even setting it out on the counter at room temperature.

I've thawed meats every which way, and many of them are the "wrong" way, but I am still alive. I agree with everyone and their recommendations as far as doing it the safe way, in the fridge, or quickly under cold running water.

I am however intrigued with the submerged in water in the fridge method. I like the basic idea, but I wonder for those of you that have used this method is it possible to use a brine to submerge the meat in? Any draw backs by using brine instead of plain water? I'm really curious as I have never seen or done this, and I recently (thanks to this forum) started brining my chicken before smoking, and have seen some threads with regards to brining pork.

Thanks

Back