BuckBoard Bacon is the BOMB!

I ordered some supplies for curing. They should be here today. I can't farkin' wait. I'm planning on some bb and cb. These pics are makin' me hungry..

Awesome, be sure to share your photos when you're done! :)

cured them for 10 days flipping them each day.. rinse them off and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered. smoked at 200 degrees with hickory. until internal temp was between 140-150..

I bet the same mix for these would make some dang good Canadian bacon

cured them for 10 days flipping them each day.. rinse them off and let them sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered. smoked at 200 degrees with hickory. until internal temp was between 140-150..

I bet the same mix for these would make some dang good Canadian bacon

Awesome!

Yes the same mix would be great for Canadian bacon for sure.. for any pork.

I've even used it to cure my own beef pastrami (used beef shoulder clod, but brisket flat is most common). I just augmented it with coriander, black pepper and garlic powder during the cure. Rinsed after 7 day cure then re-coated with the coriander, black pepper & garlic powder. Then let it sit in the fridge for 48 hours to form a crusty pellicle before smoking. Smoked it at 300F until an internal temp of 170F. Foiled and finished to 185F internal temp.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2799651#post2799651

29gjv9y.jpg

Made a sammich with the pastrami on homemade bread w/ russian dressing:

2a6a550.jpg

Last edited:
I know you cut down the pork butt - how much of the fat cap did you take off?

I know you cut down the pork butt - how much of the fat cap did you take off?

I'm not sure what jhuyser did, but if I recalled correctly, I took most of the fat cap off. My thinking was the cure would penetrate better if I recall--but maybe not necessary. I think I read somewhere to trim a brisket fat cap down to at least 1/4" (or was it 1/8") before curing pastrami. If the fat cap is thicker in certain spots it won't cure evenly unless you wait longer. It'd probably make better bacon to leave the fat cap on if it's okay.

If you leave the fat cap on it'll need a little extra curing time as it's harder for it to penetrate fat. You can also safely drop the salt content to 2.5% if you're conscious about salt intake

If you leave the fat cap on it'll need a little extra curing time as it's harder for it to penetrate fat. You can also safely drop the salt content to 2.5% if you're conscious about salt intake

Thanks this is good to know. So far the saltiness has been just about perfect though at 3%, with only one thorough rinse (no soaking).

Received my box of goodies from Butcher Packer folks. I got a poultry brine kit, Morton Tender Quick, butcher paper and some other odds and ends. Two questions: 1) the poultry kit has a bag of pink salt, # 1 I think. I am assuming this is the same as mentioned in the recipe? and 2) the directions on the tender quick say cure time is 24 hrs. Is that right? What is the difference in cure time between using a pink salt (10-11 days) vs the tender quick?

You can use the same cure for Canadian bacon - weigh the meat then measure out 3% of the weight in salt, 1% of the weight in sugar and 0.25% of the weight of the meat in cure #1. That'll give you a basic cure, then you can tweak it how you like - if you want a sweeter bacon then add maple syrup, for instance

Back