My attempted modified Johnny Trigg Rib Recipe Results

W

wheelterrapin

Folks I smoked up (4) large racks of spares yesterday using a similar Johnny Trigg approach and they were excellent.

I prepped the ribs as usual removing the membrane, excess fat, flap but did not make St. Louis ribs out of them.

Lightly rubbed them with some EVOO and applied some of Jeff's Naked Rib Rub recipe that I had modified just a little by adding some granulated honey to it. I then placed them on my 250 degree smoker using Stubbs Charocal, and three chunks of peach/apple wood. While they were smoking I took (1) cup of Honey, (1) cup of Parkay Squeezable Sweet Butter, and 3/4 cup of Brown Sugar and combined all three in a small pan and gently heated it to melt and blend all ingredients together.

At the three hour mark I removed the ribs from the smoker, applied a liberal amount of the Honey/Butter/Brown Sugar sauce to both sides and then another light coat of the rub, double wrapped them in foil and put back on the smoker for about 1-1/2 hours and then removed them from the foil and placed them backed on the smoker for another hour. During the last 15 minutes of the last hour I glazed them with some of Myron's Hog Sauce and these were the best ribgs I have ever made not that I have made that many. Just thought I would share my experience with you, sorry I have no pictures to show you as I had three familes over here that would not give me time to take any, they were hungry lions and devoured them.

Sounds like a success and we will have to try that soon. Amber has always been a little reluctant about the butter honey brown sugar thing.

Good to hear that you've had a good result with the ribs. I tried it recently with a good result, although I had to hurry mine. Next time, like you, I will add a sauce to glaze, like Sweet Baby Rays, or something like that.

This would have more better is we had some
camera0nv.gif
to look at..... Heheeee. But, I'm glad this worked out for you.

Where this is going to come in real handy is prepping a lot of racks for the foil step. I always get the doubled foil pieces ready, and heat my apple juice up, and also warm up the sauce and honey a touch.... but having the honey/Parkay/sugar all heated and dissolved will save some time when wrapping.

Check out the threads on BBQ and butter, honey, sugar, etc. From what I got out of it the issues of sugar burning, etc. are not avalid since at BBQ temps sugar, honey, etc does not burn. Butter I'm not sure about, but if you use butter, sugar, honey etc in a cake and bake it at 350 and it doesn't burn, why not use it at 225 or 250 in a cook?

When I unfoiled the ribs the Honey/Butter/Sugar glaze looked exactly like it did when I put it on before foiling, I had no burning effect at all. I was worried about this but as it turned out I was worrying for nothing. I was also worried that the ribs would be so sweet that I could not eat them but far from it, they had a good flavor with no overpowering sweetness, I will definitely repeat this process.

Check out the threads on BBQ and butter, honey, sugar, etc. From what I got out of it the issues of sugar burning, etc. are not avalid since at BBQ temps sugar, honey, etc does not burn. Butter I'm not sure about, but if you use butter, sugar, honey etc in a cake and bake it at 350 and it doesn't burn, why not use it at 225 or 250 in a cook?

I can't tell you why it works but ever since the VS competition series, a little (or a lot of) Parkay has become one of barbecues worst kept secrets.

When I unfoiled the ribs the Honey/Butter/Sugar glaze looked exactly like it did when I put it on before foiling, I had no burning effect at all. I was worried about this but as it turned out I was worrying for nothing. I was also worried that the ribs would be so sweet that I could not eat them but far from it, they had a good flavor with no overpowering sweetness, I will definitely repeat this process.

How close did your foil liquid look to the liquid in these?

DSC09694b.jpg

DSC09695b.jpg

Great, now I want some ribs. Congrats on the successful cook.

Back