• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How do I identify peach wood from apple wood

W

wheelterrapin

A friend of mine gave me a 55 gallon barrel full of peach and apple wood chunks and I cannot tell one from the other. Is there anyway to do this not that all I have is the large size chunks?

Paul

Thanks Kevin, I will get some of it out of the barrel tomorrow and take some pictures and post them, maybe some of these wood guru's can tell me which is which. I appreciate the response.

Paul

Hard to tell apart dry. When cooking the peach will have a much more pronounced smell- imo the best bbq scent of any wood. Both have a very similar affect on the meat though.

Don't know if it's true for the whole tree or not, but the Apple I have, from branches, has a smooth and fairly thin bark. The Peach has thicker and much more rough bark.

Don't know if it's true for the whole tree or not, but the Apple I have, from branches, has a smooth and fairly thin bark. The Peach has thicker and much more rough bark.

I agree with Smokin' D. (not a bad campaign slogan.)

I have apple, peach and plum in the backyard. The only point I would add is that the peach and plum bark are darker than the apple. It's all good, though.

That is what I have been doing and I am very happy with the results, just thought it would be nice to know which is which.

I appreciate all of the responses.

Paul

Take a pic but I doubt you'll be able to distinguish them in chunk form. Basically the same smoke anyways. ;)

Apple wood (depending on the type will usually have a red core with bright white wood around it........some trees are all white tho. Peach will be an orangish in color with little difference in color variation. The best way to tell them apart is (if under a year old) is to split a few pieces and give it the ol' sniff test. They two have distinct smells.....apple will often smell like cider/cider vinegar and the peach will remind you of well.........peach:-D

Upper limb wood of the peach will remind you of cherry bark but usally will be lighter gray. Peach tree bark will often be rough at its base but as it goes up, it progresses into a smooth thin paper like bark.

Both are a mild, sweet smoke. If you had, say, Cherry mixed in then you might want to sort them. Cherry is also mild, but it darkens the color of your meat, so you might want to know when you are using it.

There was a post earlier today by someone asking if their wood was apple, and they had a photo of the tree. It had apples hanging from it. If you can see peaches and apples, you are good :-D but otherwise I think you are going to drive yourself crazy trying to sort them out.

peachandapple.jpg

The left is peach. The right is apple. Good luck!

Back