• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Lots of Turkey talk How about Rubs for the bird

WineMaster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Lots of Turkey threads already. Mostly Brining talk and such.
What is your favorite rub to use on the bird.
Mine is Dizzy Pig Pineapple head.

Whatever rub I use, I like to mix it with a 50/50 butter mayo mixture. Does a nice job on the skin.

Slather with butter and S & P. Add a little poultry seasoning if you're feeling crazy.

softened butter with yardbird, making sure to also get under the skin. I usually just chuck an apple, onion and some orange in the cavity with a little rub.

I usually slather a light coat of evoo and use Yardbird. Pineapple Head sounds like a great idea.

Beer brined overnight, then rubbed with evoo then sprinkled with a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, sage and rosemary. Cavity stuffed with sprigs of tarragon and rosemary and quartered onions soaked in bourbon.

Going to use Desert Gold this year. Love it on chicken and fish. What ever rub is used, a coating of evoo will break down most spices better than anything else and aid in the infusion into the meat and skin. Make sure you apply your oil and rub both on top and under the skin too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Plowboys Fin & Feather is the bomb on poultry. That hint of citrus really does it for me. :thumbup:

I use mayo every time. Mayo is just egg and oil, a poor man's aioli. It helps mine with keeping the rub in place and the skin golden. YMMV. That being said the last two birds I did for a bbq class last weekend I rubbed with Simply Marvelous Season All, Sweet Seduction and Pecan. Another I added Big Dick's Dry Rub to it, both with outstanding results. I spatchcocked one and the the other whole to demonstrate time and temps for finished product. Here's a cross section of the spatched breast.

photo32.jpg

I usually rub with olive oil or butter, then a heavy coat of a basic cajun/creole seasoning mix that I make up myself. Sometimes I like one rubbed with lemon juice, then a rub made of coarse salt, cracked pepper, fresh rosemary, fresh sage, and fresh thyme.

Thanks for all the tips. Definately gonna lay down a good coating of Olive oil.

I like to coat the skin with EVOO and use a rub made entirely of herbs. Rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, oregano and bay leaves. Also cherry wood gives it a nice mohagony color.

Back