Dipping my toes into the competition water

fweck

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Next Saturday, the 28th. I entered the Hinckley Smokin Ribfest competition www.hinckleychamber.com/ . Two categories, sauced and dry ribs. Open to the public with five restaurants competing for peoples choice, and the rest of us competing in the rib contest.

I am as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs :doh:

just be sure to only dip your toes in the water...anything else might get you banned...

just kidding..have fun, cook the bbq that you think is best and let the chips fall.

good smokin luck.

Just make sure to enjoy. The first couple of comps I was too tore up to enjoy myself. Now sometimes I enjoy myself a little too much.

You may think you're just "dipping your toes", but you better have on a life preserver (or at least swimmies), because you're gonna get pulled in!

Hope you have a great comp!

Draw youself up a time line to work from - it doesn't have to be terribly detailed or fancy. Just the hightlights to keep you on track. And you might check out some of the packing checklists to give you ideas.
Have a great cook!

Good luck! Who's judging? The public or certified judges?

They are scoring on texture, taste, and tenderness, 1 to 10; but I have no idea who's judging. Probably local politicians and chamber of commerce members. That's what has me most worried, should the tenderness meet KCBS standards, or do I want to overcook so they are fall off the bone.

And everyone else, thanks for the advice and kind words!

Better overcooked that undercooked

I thought I totally blew the ribs at my last comp because IMO they were way overdone, but turned out to be my best finish yet. 11th out of 69 teams??? Good Luck!!

Back