Advice for a newbee brisket cooker

S

skipz0r

Hi brethren,

So, I got this brisket for the weekend set up. Its allready defrosting in the fridge. Its a 5lbs IBP Point which is allready trimmed of the most fat, only the cap is on. It's for 4 ppl in total, don't worry, there will be salad also :p

What do u guys suggest on this brisket? Going low and slow? Ive seen people suggesting to go a little hotter @ 300F as cooking at 225F would dry it out to much on a "small" piece of meat like this. Personally the point I got is almost as thick as a chuck I cooked once @ 225F which was heavier (allthough from european cattle) and it came out just great pulled. So I can dispute that opinion also. Im planning on a to pack the brisket with some butter in foil. I also got paper for in the oven, is this the same as butchers paper?

Im aiming on a smoke with a combination of Birch and Hickory. The Birch I got is in flakes, the Hickory are chunks. What do u guys suggest; go for both or just one?

On to the way I serve the brisket; go directly all out with burned ends if its done or cut little wider slices than you would with a flat? Im normally making a tomato based bbq sauce myself, do u guys think thats the right sauce for ends?

Thanks for you reply's!

Daniel

You ask too much,just throw it on the grill!:razz::wink:
Others will chime in...I don't have much experience with brisket.

Thanks for the contribution Phu :wink: I'm just worried to fark someone else his dinner :roll:

I'm enjoying the leftovers of the second brisket flat I smoked. It was 7 lbs and the first was 5.5 lbs.

Nothing added to either other than OakRidge Black Ops rub.

Fat side was down on both.

I smoked them at 225 with lump & fist sized wood chunks (hickory & cherry). I wrapped in foil at 150 the first time and 170 the next. I prefer the bark on the second. It took about 2 hrs / pound at 225 for them to reach 199-201 when a toothpick went in with no resistance all over.

There was a ton of juice in the foil on both. Even after each rested for over an hour the amount was unreal. I sliced them and poured it right over them and served it up.

Amazing flavor. My family loves these. Great when served sliced or diced up in a sub roll with Head Country sauce and sharp cheddar.

My only advice is to plan for 2 hrs / pound if you go at 225. Both of mine stalled between 150-158 for 1.25-1.75 hours. It was crazy, but I'd been warned this would happen and to stay calm and ride it out.

I have no experience with points or burnt ends.

Good luck. Allow plenty of time to get it done and rested.

Temps are up to you. Lower will just mean a longer cook. Higher won't really dry out the meat. Either way, you have to allow the connective tissue time to break down to get it tender. Just set up your pit with a temp that you're comfortable with and cook until it's probe tender. Don't worry about internal temps as much (or at all).

You can foil if you want or not. I've done brisket both with and without foil. Without, you'll end up with a little dryer, chewier bark, but that's not really a bad thing.

For point, I'd probably either slice or pull it. Again, it's a preference thing. If you dig burnt ends, then cube em, sauce em and BURN EM. :becky:

Not sure about the "oven paper". If you mean parchment paper, that'll work like butcher paper, but it's not really the same thing. If you DO foil, I'd recommend putting some beef broth, or even some beer with the point when you do wrap it up. That'll help keep it moist and add some flavor.

Never cooked with birch, but if it's flakes, I'd stick with the hickory chunks myself. I only use flakes/chips when grilling and not so much for smoking.

Good luck!

Forget about the birch flakes and just use the hickory. The point will be tender without wrapping during the cook. I would just use coarse ground pepper and kosher salt 50/50 and cook it at 275-300 myself. Keep it simple and let the smoke do the talking.

Great advice untill now, thanks. There isnt just a rule of thumb apperantly. Maybe I'm just looking at it like a exact science, which it isnt obviously.

I'll think I go for the hotter version with wrapping in tin foil.

@Pitmaster; I listen to anyone who has something to say, if I do anything with it is the big question. Every advise is appreciated!

@wampus the "oven paper" is something like this, we call it in Holland "oven paper", its a non stick paper u use in the oven to lie a pizza on it for example. This is what it looks like at my home;

Leivinarkki.jpg

I would cook it at 275 for 2 hrs and wrap it in Butcher paper and continue to cook until it probes tender. Then let it rest wrapped until the internal temp is below 150 before serving.YMMV

Back