• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Comparison Style Judging? - National Barbecue Festival

The Giggler

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
There's a contest in our area that I just found out about. It is sanctioned by the National Barbecue Festival, winner to compete at the Best of the Best in Douglas, GA. The name of the contest is Smokin' Eagles BBQ Championship, Wheatfield, NY, and is hosted by the F.O. Eagles. The rules seem similar to KCBS with the exception to, Pick Three Entries, No Garnish, and Comparison Style Judging.

What exactly is Comparison Style Judging? Judging the entries versus each one on the judges plate? Then each individual entry is judged individually for apprearance, taste, and tenderness?

Anyone have any experience with NBF rules?

The Hudson Valley Ribfest (KCBS) is set for the same weekend. Trying to decide if we're going for the local or a road trip. I have to say, I don't have 100 percent trust in Comparison Style Judging, as I do in KCBS.

Wow, I'm looking forward to hearing about this one...

Just trying to figure out how you would do this if there are four poss. meats and you only need to do 3, which ones would you pick?

Wow, I'm looking forward to hearing about this one...

Just trying to figure out how you would do this if there are four poss. meats and you only need to do 3, which ones would you pick?
I can easily say that I would drop chicken:biggrin:. I am kind of liking this, more info please

I VOTE FOR ROADTRIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

compete at the Best of the Best in Douglas, GA. The name of the contest is Smokin' Eagles BBQ Championship, Wheatfield, NY, and is hosted by the F.O. Eagles. The rules seem similar to KCBS with the exception to, Pick Three Entries, No Garnish, and Comparison Style Judging.

What exactly is Comparison Style Judging? Judging the entries versus each one on the judges plate? Then each individual entry is judged individually for apprearance, taste, and tenderness?

The Hudson Valley Ribfest (KCBS) is set for the same weekend. Trying to decide if we're going for the local or a road trip. I have to say, I don't have 100 percent trust in Comparison Style Judging, as I do in KCBS.[/quote]

we go to Douglas each year. To say that the judging is kind of strange is an understatement. We have done both really well and really bad. Hard to beat the locals with this judging. My $.02
nancee

There's a contest in our area that I just found out about. It is sanctioned by the National Barbecue Festival, winner to compete at the Best of the Best in Douglas, GA. The name of the contest is Smokin' Eagles BBQ Championship, Wheatfield, NY, and is hosted by the F.O. Eagles. The rules seem similar to KCBS with the exception to, Pick Three Entries, No Garnish, and Comparison Style Judging.

The Hudson Valley Ribfest (KCBS) is set for the same weekend. Trying to decide if we're going for the local or a road trip. I have to say, I don't have 100 percent trust in Comparison Style Judging, as I do in KCBS.

We have gone to Georgia twice. I don't know if it's really fair to say it's hard to beat the locals (sorry Nancee) except in the pie contest. Georgia always wins in that one.

The judging is still blind (I believe) so they don't know whose is whose, the only thing is that the judges look at/taste every entry, then they decide which is their fave, and then that entry gets the 10.0. So, then, the rest of the teams get 9.9 , 9.8 , 9.7 , etc. depending on how you stack up against the favorite at the table.

It's definitely different, but their rules have been working for them for years now. I've already sounded off about BOTB... I love it. I would think that a BOTB-type contest would be great, and you could have confidence in it if Kell is in any way involved.

That being said... I'd like to see Allison (yer new lil 'giglet' ... heehee) at Hudson Valley!!!! We are going this year for the first time! ROAD TRIP!

Can't wait to see y'all at Harpoon, Gigglers!
p.s. could you PM me yer address? I've had a card here since May!
michelle

Kell has tried to blend the best of each of the 13 or so sanctioning bodies into one.

I do not know if the comparison method is used, but that would seem to be consistent with MIM (or MBA) policy.
If you look at the Judges application on the site, he is looking for experienced Judges from all the sanctioning bodies and from all around the Nation.
A great attempt at a TRUE national event
Works for me.

With the larger turn in boxes, 5 categories at the BOTB ("normal 4" plus Whole Hog- you pick 3), no garnish, any heat source allowed, and slices only for brisket, Kell has created the best set of rules I have seen.
Basically, keep it simple and go cook!

And, they have HUGE payout for the number of teams in the field.

Just a great event--we will be there this year for the OPEN at least. :grin:
We would be glad to support an Invitational team logistically. Seperate thread for that.

TIM

Back