• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First competition planning

afreemaniii

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My brother and I are competing in our first competition this weekend and we're meeting tonight to go over the reponsibility list. We basically used the one in the first time cooker outline from KCBS, but added and removed some items as needed. Outside of all the little things, here is a list of the "major" items we are taking:

2 shoulders
2 briskets
6 racks of ribs
6 whole chickens (cut in half and cooked)

I've found plenty of resources on these items and feel comfortable with the amounts.

However, one area that I haven't found much information on is the fuel. How much lump should we take? We're using 2 CharGriller offsets, 1 New Braunfels offset, and 1 weber kettle. Currently I have about 45 pounds of lump, but am not sure if that's enough.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

It does not hurt to have extra fuel... Hard to run out to buy more at 2:00 am...

Based on our first comp with a Brinkmann offset ... I'd say bring more fuel. I think it went through at least 20 lbs itself. Keep it dry and you can always use later.

BTW, what part of the chicken do you plan on turning in? In KCBS, thighs are the norm.

2 shoulders good
2 briskets good
6 racks of ribs good
6 whole chickens (cut in half and cooked) I would think about getting a couple dozen thighs instead of whole chickens. Turn in the 6 that are most even in size, shape, color...
I can't help you on the lump question as I don't know how fast your offsets eat it up.
I'll be lookin' for ya there though.

I am figuring about 70lb of lump + wood. You will need extra to cook lunch and dinner on the day you are prepping for the contest,

Based on our first comp with a Brinkmann offset ... I'd say bring more fuel. I think it went through at least 20 lbs itself. Keep it dry and you can always use later.

BTW, what part of the chicken do you plan on turning in? In KCBS, thighs are the norm.

That's good question...and our strategy may change tonight. We've made both in the past, but settled on the half chicken idea and slicing up some breast. However, the more I read and see pictures of turn in boxes, the more I think we'll switch back to thighs this weekend.

I can't help you on the lump question as I don't know how fast your offsets eat it up.
I'll be lookin' for ya there though.

Stop on by. We'll have cold beer available. We're gonna try some burgers, brats, fatties, and ABT's on Friday evening.

Man that's sounds like alot of fuel.

Can't go wrong with having extra but if you were to use a UDS the total amount would be about half.

Man that's sounds like alot of fuel.

Can't go wrong with having extra but if you were to use a UDS the total amount would be about half.

I was hoping to have one done and ready for this weekend, but life got in the way and it looks like it might be a week or two before I can the UDS done. I am excited for it though.

I take 40 pounds of lump to use in my stumps clone. I only ever use about 15 pounds but I would hate to run out at 4am.

Yeah, we can run both Backwoods and a WSM off of one 22 bag of WG of lump and one 11 bag of briquettes and still have some left at the end of a comp. But it doesn't keep us from taking 2+ bags of each along.

My brother and I are competing in our first competition this weekend and we're meeting tonight to go over the reponsibility list. We basically used the one in the first time cooker outline from KCBS, but added and removed some items as needed. Outside of all the little things, here is a list of the "major" items we are taking:

2 shoulders
2 briskets
6 racks of ribs
6 whole chickens (cut in half and cooked)

I've found plenty of resources on these items and feel comfortable with the amounts.

However, one area that I haven't found much information on is the fuel. How much lump should we take? We're using 2 CharGriller offsets, 1 New Braunfels offset, and 1 weber kettle. Currently I have about 45 pounds of lump, but am not sure if that's enough.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Forget the lump for cooking low and slow. It burns very hot and very quickly. Use a good quality briquette for low and slow and remove the ash often. Lord knows you will be up all night tending the small offsets anyway. Use the lump for grilling (hot and fast). We have been doing this for a very long time and it just makes sense except of course for a Big Green Egg..

Back