Char griller charcoal baskets

D-Rell

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
What size charcoal basket is recommended for the char griller with sfb?

The charcoal basket that I made with expanded metal for use in the Chargriller SFB has the dimensions of 12"W x 12"L x 6"H, and fits nicely in the SFB. The basket sits on a couple of strips of angle iron. That way I can remove the charcoal drawer from the SFB, if needed, without having to remove the charcoal basket.

I bought a 24" x 24" square of 3/4" expanded metal from Home Depot or Lowes.

Here is a simple drawing of how to make the charcoal basket ----
box4do.jpg

The charcoal is seated on the lips of the two strips of angle iron in the SFB

66djtdd.jpg

Or, you can be lazy like me and do this mod....

All it is, is a piece of flat expanded metal laying flat inside. I have since this picture taken out the "cooking" grate, and lowered it on top of the angle iron that hold the drawer in.

I done both of mine that way, and then added a small piece up the front to hold more in... :biggrin: I can get abt a good 2hr burn the way I have it. Just fill it up to the top on the right side, and gently slope it toward the main chamber. Leave enough room for a chimney of lit at the left side next to the main chamber and you are set. It will take a couple of times using it, but you will master it real soon....

Bill

I made mine exactly like jazzspot's and I can get 6-8 hr burn at 225. Works great.

This is the one i built for my CG. you can take it out by sliding conduit over the rebar handles. I get a 6hr burn 5 hr cook with this.

Last edited:
I made one just like the pigman from his post last year. That basket works great just like he says.

Jazzspot, thanks for the diagram, looks simple enough. Pigman, I like yours too, what are the dimensions? Gonna be trying to put one together next week, if I can find the expanded metal. The people at Lowe's look at me like I was speaking Russian or something when I asked them if the carried expanded metal.

D-Rell, forget the sales help. It's usually found in the masonry section. Look around, I've never seen a Lowe's that didn't carry it.

I found it in the section where they sell rope and chains.

I get that 2 hr+- with lump. Are you all using lump or briquets to get those 6 hr or so burns? I am assuming briquets.....

i used the same layout that jazzspot shows on his post. worked great in my NBSS. also used it in my UDS after adding legs. give it a try you'll be surprised. smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

Late to the party but I just got my Char-griller last Monday. I picked up the expanded metal at Home Depot and made the basket like jazzspot shows. I brought it home Monday, assembled and seasoned Tuesday and it's been raining every day since. I'll get to try it out next week though.

An aside - I paid 129 at Wallymart, saw it at Lowes for 139 and on the Char-griller site for 179. Told myself I did good. I was in Wallymart yesterday and the things are now priced at 248. I asked a clerk about it and she said she had questioned the manager about it but was told that's what it is now. But it still shows 179 on the web site.

Here is one I picked up from Lowes. Real easy and workd great.

Attachments

• DSC00919 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00919 (Medium).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 465
Hmm, I should have considered this long ago, I've been playing the "feed the freak" game for way too long!
I like Pigmans design, do you place the lit charcoal at one end and let it burn it's way through the maze, or do you light the center and let it work it's way out?

You put the lit at one end and the fire snakes around. The divides keep the fire from spreading to quickly.

Back