Corned Rounds

milehigh

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
OK, so i've read all the pastrami threads on the Roadmap and they are all based on brisket. I've got a couple of corned eye of rounds soaking in rinse water that will get smoked tomorrow. Plan on having pastrami for sammies for an upcoming fishing trip.
Any tips on temps and times appreciated. Thought about smoking at 225 with pecan until an internal temp of 180. Rounds should cook faster than corned beef flats, right? Foiling? I've got some "pastrami seasoning" from Steve Raichlan that i think will be O.K.

Paul

Bump. 2 hours before i cant get back on the board today

tanks
Paul

That is what I would do. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

hey there

Paul has a question and seeing how he has no computer at home the task falls to me....his rounds have gotten to 147* and holding like for 2 hours ...egg temp is 250* the question is" do rounds plateau like brisets" and what should he expect

ben

This was my first ever long cook, so here are some quick notes and observations. Feel free to throw input to help out my learning curve.

The cook was 2 corned rounds on a med bge. Started at 7:30 a.m. at 250 and sweet blue pecan. Stuck a probe in the smaller one at the 2 1/2 hour mark and it was at 131. It crept up to 147 over the next 2 hrs and held. About that time i probed the slightly bigger one and it was at 146. Pit still at 250. They both stayed there for the next couple of hours and i was getting to the point that i thought something was wrong with the probes. Remember this is my first long cook and they were not BUDGING. Panic did'nt set in ,but i was getting impatient. Lets try foiling the little one, i,ve read about that. Sure as hell, it started rising while the big one held.I also had raised the pit to 260-275. So i foiled it, and it started coming up. About then i had to tear the egg down to add more charcoal. Got it back to 275 and finished the cook until both reached about 200.

The meat is a little dry and somewhat "roast beefy" I am guessing they were not that "corned" and did'nt require a pre-soak. The "dry" part may have been from how i cooked them. I noticed that they were not giving up much liquid until i foiled and the plateau broke. Was it the foiling that broke it or would have they eventually broke and lost as much liquid if left alone? Was 200 too hot for a round?

All in all it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience, And... homemade pastrami to share with freinds and family. Sorry to ramble, i tend to do that. Open to any critique.

I'm going fishing now.
Thanks for all the help and camradarie.

Paul

hey there

Sounds really good...I anxious to hear feed back being a rookie I needs all the help I can get, if ya know what I mean :|...but I know they are gonna taste good on the fishin' trip....:wink:

grace and peace

Ben

Lets see the way I'm reading this is you didn't corn the beef before it went on the cooker? If you didn't corn it then what you had was roast beef, after I cure corn a flat for at least 2 weeks and good soak'n I'll cook smoke for a internal of 150 to 165 and slice real thin for cornbeef sandwichs, I've also seen but never did was after the smoke to steam the meat for approx. 2hrs

Corned Rounds and Pastramis are served in supermarket and crappier delis. You see the corned beef slices that are big and round, not flat and you should run away. Same with pastrami. The round has no fat and also does not allow much of the corning to penetrate and settle in.

IMHO - stick to briskets or another fattier cut.

Back