Tri-Tip WTF????????????

ggriffi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I got my cooker from Peoria Custom Cookers today and want to cook next weekend. One of the things I want to try is a tri-tip and I have looked at the various grocery stores around here Meijer,Sams,Wallyworld,Jewel,etc., and haven't found tri-tip. I went to a bucther shop today and the girl behind the counter (No butcher present today) said"tri-tip do they call it something else?" i said I don't know but I have seen and read a lot of recipes for tri-tip. So my brethren, am I missing something here or do I need to wait and ask the buthcher himself about this?

TIA

I think you need to find a different butcher. Cause if the they can't have people that don't know their Arse from a hole in the ground. Then you shouldn't even talk to him.

My butcher didn't know what it it was either but we are on the other side of the world.

It's a California thing.lol

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36723

A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape. Tri-tip was seldom marketed when carcass beef or beef quarters were delivered to retail markets because there are only two tri-tips per carcass. This meant that there was not enough for a case display. Consequently, the butcher would grind or cube it.

A little differant????? Man you have no idea.lol

JD,

We can have only ONE membership according to SWMBO!!!!!!!!!

It's a West coast cut, and before I moved to California, I never heard of tri tip either. In other parts of the country, you might ask for triangle roast, if it's available at all. It's often cut butchered as parts of sirloin steaks rather than saved as a whole discrete muscle.

If all else fails, have your meat guy check the order slip. Tri-tip is a 185C. A 185D is one that has had some of the fat removed. They typically come 6 to a package and are cryo'd.

0e63e6b0.jpg

I don't think there is a store in California that doesn't have a case full of Tri-Tips at all time. Hooray for us!

It's all about the Tri-Tip here. On weekends most of the grocery stores have grills set up outside and are selling already cooked tri-tips.

I don't think there is a store in California that doesn't have a case full of Tri-Tips at all time. Hooray for us!

It's all about the Tri-Tip here. On weekends most of the grocery stores have grills set up outside and are selling already cooked tri-tips.

I like to pick up a load of them when the scales are farked up.

DSC01934a.jpg

I like to pick up a load of them when the scales are farked up.

DSC01934a.jpg

Thats Albertsons for you!
You don't have to worry about them leaning on the scales. I'd gladly trade you the $1.99 Baby Backs for the Tri-Tip!

Back