Calling all Judges...

"Bone to Bark" BBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can I get some opinions on this chicken box? We were practicing mainly on the garnish, as I did not spend the time trimming and sizing the pieces as I would have for competition. Tell me what you think, just don't be too brutal! Thanks, I think :icon_blush:

Attachments

• 086.jpg
    086.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 205
We don't judge garnish.....but....if you want to know how you compare to other turn ins....

I would lose the row of green in the middle. Better to have all of the parsley as one flat plane.

I like the color of your chicken!

The green strip in the middle makes me think you're trying to hide something on the chicken. I'd lose that. I think that is why it looks like the chicken is buried in the garnish.

The chicken seems a little light; I would wonder about its doneness.

Lynn H.
Lynn - USDA wants chicken to be at 165 degrees. I know I can get it to 165 and come out very light in color so it would certainly be done.

As a cook it is harder to get the light color verses a dark one.

As a CBJ I'd echo the comments listed above - the garnish should be a platform for the meat to sit on top of. As far as the "lightness" of the color, it might look a wee bit better if it were a little darker, but this truly looks pretty good.

Just my $0.02.

We've taken first with light chicken; I wouldn't sweat the color. More important is keeping a consistent coating, yours is a bit blotchy.

As others said, make the greens the background, not on top. Of course your trimming could improve, but you already said that. :wink:

6. Even out the sizes/trim better, don't bury the chicken in the garnish, needs a little more color.

Lynn - USDA wants chicken to be at 165 degrees. I know I can get it to 165 and come out very light in color so it would certainly be done.

As a cook it is harder to get the light color verses a dark one.

USDA changed to 155 for chicken in 2010. But too be safe in comps I'd cook higher. Mine is actually around 190.

If you cover for part of the cook then it stays lighter.

USDA changed to 155 for chicken in 2010. But too be safe in comps I'd cook higher. Mine is actually around 190.

If you cover for part of the cook then it stays lighter.
Ford - You sure that applies to poultry? Just wondering because this is the guideline we have been using that came out 2011.

"The safe cooking temperature for all poultry products, including ground chicken and turkey, remains at 165 °F."

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/news/NR_052411_01/index.asp

Dave

forgot to add, I think you are pushing with 165, I like 175 in the thigh, you don't want any raw chicken, judges really watch for a little blood.....just my .02

Back