Mayo or No Mayo Slaw?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I may have put the cart before the horse on my last question about slaw so going to ask this simple question.

I asked about no mayo slaw, not because I do not like it, but for some reason I thought the slaw you put on pulled pork, and on the side was not suppose to have mayo? I guess I thought it was because of the heat and possibly mayo would go bad.

Anywho.... when cooking slaw for picnics and for BBQ do you stay away from mayo or just go with the best slaw recipe you have?

Mayo is pasteurized (or somehow preserved - not sure how) these days I'm not sure that having it spoil is still a huge concern - it could be, but I don't know. I'm not a fan of mayo that's been sitting out but just about everyone I know seems to think it's not a problem - unless you're making your own at home with raw eggs. Keeping it cold shouldn't be too big of a deal anyway - keep a large container in a cooler and refill the smaller container you're serving out of.

I've been into the vinegar slaws the past couple years - seems like the vinegary goodness just goes better with pulled pork. A good creamy slaw is a beautiful thang, though - I just don't have a good recipe for it or else I'd try making it.

I like mayo slaw in general, but, I go back and forth on whether to put mayo into slaw for sandwiches. I like the bite a vinegar slaw has to contrast with the sweetness of pork. I tend to go that way more often for sandwiches. For eating off a plate, I prefer mayo slaw.

Saw an episode of Pitmasters and apparently there is not universal agreement even among some of the professionals as to whether vinegar based or mayo based slaw was better. Do whatever you like best.

I too am into mayo-less slaw these days, I partially like an Asian Slaw with slivered toasted almonds and sesame seeds.

Prefer a mayo-slaw here...maybe I haven't had a good vinegar slaw yet though. I do think (keyword: think) that a majority of people would lean towards a mayo-slaw based on what they have had in the past.

I'm with aquablue. I few years ago my aunt gave me a recipe for slaw made with toasted almonds and ramen and a sauce made from oil, vinegar sugar and soy. That is the only slaw I eat now. Delicious.

I too am into mayo-less slaw these days, I partially like an Asian Slaw with slivered toasted almonds and sesame seeds.

:thumb:

The asian flavor slaw is my favorite, but I've never tried it on pork guess I'll have too.

For me

Vinegar based = pork

Mayo based = fish

But I can be persudaded to go both ways :becky:

Like them both. I eat fried and roasted chicken too. Variety is the spice of life.

Prefer a nice creamy mayo/ranch type slaw as a side dish with fried fish, fired/grilled/roasted chicken.
Prefer a vinager based slaw as a topper on sammys, hot dogs, tacos, or burgers.

I like the bite a vinegar slaw has to contrast with the sweetness of pork.

Unless you're in North Carolina (as you already know) where the pork is not sweet in the least. The pork itself is seasoned with vinegar therefore we (in the eastern part of the state) use a sweeter version of a mayo/salad dressing based slaw. It's the same principle you use, but in reverse.

Slaw in Eastern NC is usually very simple with just mayo, vinegar, & sugar...or just salad dressing & sugar. There are a scant few that add a touch of mustard and celery seed, but you find those mostly in just a few restaurants.

I get absolutely crazy sometimes and actually combine the 2 in my slaw. Probably more ratio of mayo, but adding some vinegar in there gives it an additional flavor that I like. Even had a buddy who doesn't like mayo like that slaw I made even though there was more mayo than vinegar. But I also will make them with just one or the other.

I like them both for different reasons. I even use both on pulled pork sammiches too depending on my mood I suppose.

"Sweetness of the pork"? Man you're using the wrong sauce to begin with. Go East young man, go east.

I have a regular group that comes over for pulled pork. Two thirds the Vinegar is the hit. One third the mayo is the hit (this group includes my wife but not myself, so you know I have to make the mayo also)

Mayo.
I think I stole this from Harbormaster.
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I use white pickling)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh fine grind black pepper (not powdered)
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
3/4 cup Hellman's Mayo (don't ever use Kraft Miracle whip)

Mix all well. Pour over shredded head of cabbage stir. Keep refrigerated.

Vinegar Based.
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon salt (non iodized sea salt or kosher salt)
1/4 Cup light vegetable oil
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 Cup cider vinegar. Make sure your vinegar has not lost it's bite. If it has buy new.

In a sauce pan combine over medium heat. Simmer stirring until sugar is dissolved and everything is incorporated. Cool to room temp. (24C or so) pour over coleslaw. Toss well. Refrigerate until well chilled, toss a couple more times while it's cooling. (it is better when the cold can contrast with the warmth of the pulled pork. But that's just me.

1. mayo (JFG)
2. cream
3. onion to taste
4. green pper taste
5. sugar
6. cucumber just a tad
if you want something different try some fresh tomato in it

"Sweetness of the pork"? Man you're using the wrong sauce to begin with. Go East young man, go east.

I may be wrong, but IMO the comment to "sweetness of pork" is used because the taste of pure pork is inherently sweet, much like lobster meat in comparison to the use of the term.

I would classify pork as sweet.........no sauce was mentioned....

I have just started getting in to more of the vinegar based slaws. It's too dang hot for mayo. Though Duke's is awesome stuff and I have been known to take a squirt of it right between the cheek and gum! :heh: I made an Asian type slaw the other day. It was awesome! Here's the recipe:

4 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons soy sauce
2 tablespoon sesame oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
1 finely chopped pepper of your choice (I used a fresh cayenne)
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
pinch of salt
fresh cracked black to your taste
1/2 head red cabbage finely shredded
1/2 head green (I used Napa) cabbage finely shredded
2 large carrots shredded with vegetable peeler

Mix the first 11 ingredients in a jar. Cover and shake vigorously. It is better if you make it a couple of hours ahead and fridge. Add the dressing, shake well (You may not need all of it, so pay attention!) Toss well.

I really liked it.

Hugs me bruthas and sistas in smoke!

Back